Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thinking ahead to gifts

Froglet

Before anyone gets overexcited I am not mentioning the C word.  Apologies in advance if the 'A-word' I am about to mention causes offence!  I could do with some ideas.

Last year on the 1st December my parents turned up at my house with a mystery box for me - it turned out to contain an advent calendar from a toiletries company I love.  My whole family (parents, brother and sister and their wife/husband and my three nieces and nephew) had clubbed together to get it for me as a total surprise.  The message in the card was so sweet it reduced me to tears and still makes me feel emotional thinking about it.  For a whole host of reasons which I won't share publicly it was really important to me.

I obviously said thank you at the time but was thinking about returning the pleasure this year.  It may not work out as there's a strong possibility that one of the families will be out of the country over Christmas but I wanted to think about it just in case.  I was thinking of putting their own advent calendars together.  I can't afford the cost of buying a 'grown-up' calendar for each of them but I am good at wrapping and making.  For the two elder children I was thinking of getting a lego kit and splitting it up into 24 parts with the final instructions arriving on the 24th.  For the youngest I could do one of those Santa's beard countdown calendars.  For the adults I was contemplating a series of 24 small presents which could be things like a teabag or sachet of drinking chocolate, a small sweet, a packet of seeds/bulb.  I wondered if anyone had any ideas for any other little treats I could include?

You seem quite handy, so could you include small shopping bags - handmade?  I did 60 gifts for a 60th and included things like shower caps, travel size toiletries - hand cremes/toothpaste (brought in supermarkets at the end of summer season.  They can work out expensive though, so I did a lot of individual tea bags etc, along with a couple of more expensive (£1 xD things)

Look in Poundland type shops for sets of things that can be split up and used separately.

Oh, and maybe day one could be a set of battery lights (Poundland) that they drape over the advent calendar. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...