Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Strange Request

Insect Lore is the place to go for African Land Snails.

www.insectlore.co.uk

or PO Box 1420, Kiln Farm, Milton Keynes, MK19 6ZH. Tel 01908 563338

But you may also find that a local school already has some babies they're willing (or desperate) to give away.

J

There was a thread going on about caterpillar/butterfly farms a while back and when I looked on the site I'm pretty sure it had a section on snails!

Only trouble is, I've been searching for it for nearly an hour on here but I'm obviously not looking in the right place, as I can't find it!! Sorry! Will keep looking though.

Clare

other schools and setrtings are always worth a try first, our schools were deserate to find homes for some of theirs.......also parents......2 of ours had them at home...and one bred butterflies!!!

Inge

Look under the leaves of your shrubs and trees, I have hundreds in my garden. I could fill a bucket time and time over. These snails we have came over with the romans- and they are edible- not that I could eat them. I have babies that are very very tiny up to quite big ones. They ruin my plants. youn are welcome to come and get some if you live in the North West.

Unfortunately George and Betty are still too young for babies :(

51721[/snapback]

Ooh Marion, I think you'll find these snails are hermaphrodite - not sure you could really call them George and Betty :oxD:(

shooting star what is the secret to having no blooming snails in your garden? is it a fen shui one with gravel? :) I keep snail watch over my hostas and strawberries each summer but they usually get there before I do :o

best of luck finding some

Ooh Marion, I think you'll find these snails are hermaphrodite - not sure you could really call them George and Betty  :o  xD  :(

51743[/snapback]

We ran a competition to name them and the winning names were drawn from a hat by the Year2 teacher :) Anyway they look alike so they take turns with the names :D

• 4 weeks later...

George and Betty are my guests for the Easter break :o Unfortunately the Nursery Nurse and I dont trust the Nursery teacher to have their best interests at heart :( so we are taking turns. I have just worked out it will be my turn over the summer xD

Has anyone had a kit from the site Marion referred to? Would be interested to know what experience you had. I like the idea of the fly or caterpillar kit - nice and cheap and they can be released after they've developed.

We order a butterfly kit every year from Insect Lore. We already have the butterfly "houses" so just order the caterpillars. They are brilliant. The children enjoy looking at them and we hold a releasing ceremony.

Great fun. Lots of stories (obviously The Very Hungry Caterpillar), role play and butterfly dances. We have dressing up props for butterflies and children like to make their own wings.

but anyone know where i can buy some snails from for the children to observe?

51720[/snapback]

We do garden snails every summer, but the children collect them themselves from outside. They then know a bit more about natural habitat etc.

We do  garden snails every summer, but the children collect them themselves from  outside. They then know a bit more about natural habitat etc.

54225[/snapback]

We do garden snails but George and Betty are part of the family. More pets than anything. They can grow up to 15'' long from tail to top of head so a bit different good for comparisons.

Guest MaryEMac

We have had caterpillars from insect lore for the past 3 years. The first year only two hatched so I sent everything back and received a whole new pack by return. We've even had classes 1 and 2 come in to look at our butterflies. All the children love it and the caterpillars are the first port of call when they arrive. I can really reccomend Insect lore.

Mary

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)