Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mobile phones

ChinWag

So mobile phones are in bags in our disabled toilet!

Previous to this they were in bags in the staff/visitors toilet which I have recently changed ......I keep finding an odd bag creeping bag in the staff toilet and sometimes in coat pockets in the staff toilets - I’m just feeling not frisking - the clue is in how long and how frequently some staff use the toilet.

Most settings I visit have phones in a locked box in the office, lockers etc - our policy needs to be tweaked  I think -

shall I make the move to phones in the office?

What if someone wants to use the disabled toilet?

I know what to do but have always used this forum as my support system in the past - please share all words of wisdom and best practice to support my impending challenges..........

thank you you in advance 

What kind of setting are you?  We are a term-time sessional with staff working a variety of days/hours etc. Our phones go in a basket at our kitchen hatch. Visible to all and well out of children's reach. Visitors add phones here too.

Our policy reflects this and explains why.  If we were a 8-6, full year with set shifts our policy/procedure would be different. 

We're full day care. Our staff leave their phone in the staff room in their bag or on a coat peg in the staff cloakroom area. No children visible to or from either areas. I'm happy that they are out of the way. We don't have a problem with staff 'nipping off' to check phones as they get a 10 minute break in the morning and then a full lunch break both away from children. Also, we have made it really clear that if they are expecting an important phone call they can put their phone out in the office and one of us will answer it and then swap into the numbers  for them - this has meant they don't need to keep checking their phone. I have been asked, when visiting other settings, to put my phone in their basket ( as per loubyloo above). However, when I was inspecting I didn't hand my phone over, I used to keep it in my bag and my bag was securely away. As inspectors we were advised to do this in case the inspection 'wasn't going according to the framework' and we needed to make a call for our own safety, or for the safety of the children in the setting. Sounds dramatic but the safety of inspectors is important and they are generally the only inspector on site. 

• Like 1

Our phones are in staff handbags in our kitchen. Staff dont use them unless an emergency and then will ask first. No children are visible in this area, unless you go up to a glass door and then you would be seen anyway. I wouldn't want to ask staff to lock them away, I've never had a problem with staff checking phones or using them. But none of my staff ae that young. 

10 hours ago, lynned55 said:

Our phones are in staff handbags in our kitchen. Staff dont use them unless an emergency and then will ask first. No children are visible in this area, unless you go up to a glass door and then you would be seen anyway. I wouldn't want to ask staff to lock them away, I've never had a problem with staff checking phones or using them. But none of my staff ae that young. 

We do the same, staff belongings go in their own drawer in the kitchen, they use them at lunch time...the sad thing is no one talks to each other as they all have their heads in their phones :-( I really don’t see the need to lock phones in tins in offices and lets face it what’s to stop them having another on their person even if they have handed in one?, if anyone needs them in an emergency family, schools etc should have the setting number.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)