Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Common play behaviours

Has any amazing person been organised enough to map out common play behaviours for the different areas of continuous provision? I’m looking at moving to a play based year 1 and want to make sure that I am challenging the children. Any help much appreciated 😁

You could also look at Tom Bedard's blog Sand and Water Tables.  He lists many, many behaviours linked to sand, water and anything that pours.  He sets up amazing structures in his sand/water trays.  I've never really got my head round the way he works with the play behaviours but it is interesting and might inspire some ideas for Year One.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

How exciting to hear you are moving to a play based Year 1! There are some useful books about transition from Early Years to Year 1 I thought you might find helpful:

Julie Fisher - Moving on to Key Stage One (OU Press 2010)

Smooth Transitions - Ros Bayley and Sally Featherstone - this one talks about space, child initiated learning and the importance of understanding child development

Effective Transition into Year One - Alistair Bryce-Clegg 

Year 1 in Action - A month by month guide to taking Early Years pedagogy into Key Stage One - Anna Ephgrave

Each of these books shows the importance of acknowledging the need for Year 1 children to continue to learn through play and child initiated experiences alongside supportive and interacting adults. 

Good luck with any changes you make to Year 1. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)