Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

To report or not to report...

We have a small gate enclosing garden which is bolted which leads to steps and the big gate which opens onto the pavement and road.  A child opened both gates and got onto the pavement.  A member of staff was right behind him so he didn't get far.  I suspect I know the answer to the question but do I report or not?

I guess that depends on the actual incident.

When you say the staff member was right behind him- were they (a) actually 'right behind' as in following him straightaway,  or  (b) were they just lucky to 'see them in time'? 

If (a) I would right up a report, review risk-assessments, staff training etc. Parents too if this was partly due to a parent/visitor not following your procedures.

(b) Report as an incident 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would report this on a NEAR MISS FORM. I had to fill one out the other day. (First time ever). Our door has a twist lock to undo it, the children are taught that only adults open the door and gates.  We have a safety hook at the top of the door which is put on as soon as all children are in the setting.  I whipped to the shed (in the playground) to get something and didn’t ask a staff member to hook it behind me and a rebel child opened the door to come and find me.  The child was at no risk but this is still unacceptable that this happened.  I filled out the form, informed the parent of the child and then shared the incident and form with all my parents so they were all aware of what happened and what we are putting into place to avoid it happening again.

Okay I think it’s a near miss. Staff member was watching child who was playing near gate. She saw him put his hand through (bolt is on outside) and told him not to open the gate. He ignored her and undid it anyway than ran for the big gate and opened it with her in hot pursuit! Where do I get a near miss form from? Did you report to OFSTED Zigzag?

52 minutes ago, MarshaD said:

Okay I think it’s a near miss. Staff member was watching child who was playing near gate. She saw him put his hand through (bolt is on outside) and told him not to open the gate. He ignored her and undid it anyway than ran for the big gate and opened it with her in hot pursuit! Where do I get a near miss form from? Did you report to OFSTED Zigzag?

I made my own form as I could not find the one that I had been given!   No didn’t report to Ofsted.  Happy to share the form.  Give me a minute to get on the computer and then will upload it.

• Thanks 1