Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

English and Maths qualifications

Quick question, haven't recruited for a while and just wasn't sure about the English and Math qualifications status.  I have a lady applied with a Level 3 who has 20 years experience of running a Pre-School but she doesn't have any other formal qualifications can I consider her for a job.

• FSFRebecca changed the title to English and Maths qualifications
3 hours ago, Harvey10 said:

Quick question, haven't recruited for a while and just wasn't sure about the English and Math qualifications status.  I have a lady applied with a Level 3 who has 20 years experience of running a Pre-School but she doesn't have any other formal qualifications can I consider her for a job.

Hi Harvey10,

I hope you don't mind but I've changed the title of your piece from your name to something relevant to the question you posted :D In terms of the Level 3, if it was 20 years ago you will need to check that it still meets the requirements for 'full and relevant' qualifications. The qualifications checker is here

• 3 weeks later...

ok so now i'm confused!! I have a member of staff who had to do her GCSE's as part of her qualification in the april of her course the government did a backflip and said these were no longer required. Did this policy not go through then ?

And I have a level 3 from 20 years ago...mines still relevantxD just checked!!

the way I understood it, the gov said GCSEs were required and then changed their minds after protests from the sector (only time in history they listened to anyone!) So a level 3 is still a level 3 as long as it's on the list of full and relevant qualifications.

The bit I'm unsure about is the need for first aid, I thought that was only for newly qualified people?

9 hours ago, AliceinWonderland said:

the way I understood it, the gov said GCSEs were required and then changed their minds after protests from the sector (only time in history they listened to anyone!) So a level 3 is still a level 3 as long as it's on the list of full and relevant qualifications.

The bit I'm unsure about is the need for first aid, I thought that was only for newly qualified people?

that was my thought too. I thought everyone now has to have a first aid certificate to be counted in ratios.

2 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

that was my thought too. I thought everyone now has to have a first aid certificate to be counted in ratios.

Ok, found it!

At least one person who has a current paediatric first aid (PFA) certificate must be on the premises and available at all times when children are present, and must accompany children on outings.

All newly qualified31 entrants to the early years workforce who have completed a level 2 and/or level 3 qualification on or after 30 June 2016, must also have either a full PFA or an emergency PFA certificate within three months of starting work32 in order to be included in the required staff:child ratios at level 2 or level 3 in an early years setting.

Hopefully this clears it up, you must have a first aider available at all times and all newly qualified people must gain FA before being able to counted in ratios.

• Like 1