Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting a family

Hi ,

I'm looking for some ideas To support twins and their family who are dealing with the mum who is unfortunatly going through breast cancer and obviously the affects this brings. 

Any ideas would be great fully received! 

Thanks 

Jess 

just be there for them. Let them talk and talk to them when they want to . Check with the parents as to what they have already told them and who knows. Continue to treat the parents as you always would they will appreciate the normality ! 

Cancer is tricky ...it will depend on her treatment and how that goes as to any more support needed. As it is breast cancer I would say that things often happen quite fast....be prepared ! offer extra sessions if possible or be more flexible in your offer if you can. Good luck x

• Like 2

Completely agree with Finleysmaid.  My children were slightly older when I had breast cancer but I really appreciated people 'being normal' but also allowing me to 'off load' a bit if I needed. Depending on the treatment given and mum's reaction to it she is probably going to be very tired at points and may want different people to be picking up/collecting more than usual.  Might be worth getting a list of all possible helpers and passwords so you don't have to keep phoning/chasing mum when they appear.  

Agree with the above, we are in a similar situation and actually contacted the hospice who are supporting the family and older children, they came and visited us and gave us loads of ideas, book recommendations and 'Worry dolls' Worry Monsters' etc - which we will use with all the children to help them understand feelings etc.  They were really helpful and are now at the end of the phone if we need support, staff are struggling as well as we have known the family a long time.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)