Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Little boy who wants to be a girl - advice please

Hi All

Wondered if you could all give me some advice.  I have a little boy who will be going to school in September.  When he first came to us he was very sensitive and cried after separation from mum.  We got over that when Mum asked if it would be ok if he came in wearing his "special hair."  Which was a disney princess plait for his hair. Now he comes in really happily sometimes with special hair, sometimes a dress or sometimes some other toy.   His conversation is often about his barbies at home or make up.  His parents are really good and allow him to be the person he is and in my opinion his parents attitude has contributed to the growth in his confidence.

He is a really lovely little treasure.  Kind, caring and his playskills are great.  He engages in all activities with such enthusiasm and is probably one of my most competent with the school skills of writing his name, maths etc.  He plays will join both the boys and the girls in play (preferring the girls company) but does seem to stay away from the rougher boys who run around or play super hero fighting.

I have been around for a long time and boys wearing dresses is nothing new to me but this little one is different.

Mum is now a little worried about the transition to school and how other children will take his being "different."  I know the school will support him and there is a uniform so he wont  be able to wear his disney princess dress but how do you allow him to be himself which maybe wanting to be a girl without making the assumption that just because he likes barbies and wearing dresses, (that wanting to be a girl), is what he wants? 

We do think that Mum having a meeting with the school is a must and we are trying to compile some questions/actions that will help the school to be supportive.  What would you put on this plan?

Firstly, well done to you all and his parents on getting his confidence up to be himself. Maybe you could try contacting one of the transgender charities to ask for advice on how to support the family. I'm not assuming anything, but they will have the experience of dealing with being different and may know of some questions for the family to ask at school. Hopefully the school will be understanding. Hope it goes well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This response may well be too late as I’m sure you’ve moved on from when you posted. I think you would have to approach the transition like any other and base it upon your knowledge of him. What his likes and preferences are, what keeps him centred, how he interacts with others etc. I guess the crucial questions for Mum are to what extent will you let my son be his true self and how will you support his peer group in valuing diversity?