Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Being made redundant

I have been invited to a redundancy consultation meeting. Is there anything in particular I should ask?

Also, the parents were told last Monday that we are closing but all our correspondence has not confirmed this. One of my staff took advice to be told that this was effectively unfair dismissal but when I asked the same question there was no comment. Does anybody have any advice.

Thank you.

Have a look on the ACAS website for more information.  I know when we had to make a redundancy a couple of years ago the committee had to ensure they followed very strict procedures and a timeline and they found the site very useful. I think you can also contact ACAS for specific advice, either as a employee or employer.  If you are a member of the PSLA you can also use their Lawcall service for advice.

Edited by zigzag

Sorry to hear this. Phone ACAS, they are very helpful. It sounds like redundancy if the setting is closing,  I would think that unfair dismissal would be if someone was sacked for no good reason or if someone was made redundant without them following procedure, for example, they are told they are being made redundant but no one else was considered for redundancy. If it is happening to everyone due to the setting closing, then I don't see how it can be classed as unfair dismissal. I wish you luck.

Hi Starsdance

It's a few years since I've been involved with redundancy, so this may not be completely up to date!

In a redundancy situation, it is important to understand that the position is being made redundant, not the individual. So, if there are multiple people with the same job title/role and not all positions are at risk, then there needs to be a clear reason for the redundancy and clear, measurable criteria to select who is made redundant (e.g. length of service, disciplinary record, etc). Clearly, if the setting is closing, then all positions will be redundant, making selection irrelevant, but the employer should still give a reason when informing you that there is a risk of redundancy, enabling you to look at ways where redundancy could potentially be avoided during the consultation process. The employer is bound to consider (although not necessarily agree) any alternatives you put forward.

As everyone else has already said, ACAS are very helpful, completely independent and will give you the most up to date information and advice.

Good luck.

I had the meeting and it wasn't as scary as I first thought. I have never gone through this before so was unsure as to what would happen. Thank you for all your advice.

I've been there a long time and I feel that I have been treated extremely fairly so no complaints from me :)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)