Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYPP for SALT

I have just received notification that one of my children is now in receipt of EYPP (more trouble than it’s worth) He is currently waiting to be seen by the SALT after I referred him.  Looking for some ideas on what to spend the money on to help his language development.  He has all the language and is very bright and communicates freely but some of his speech is unclear.  I don’t think he will be taken on by the SALT (once he finally gets seen) as I don’t think his is a serious enough case.  I have been doing lots of letters and sounds phase 1 with him and lots of repeating and scaffolding of language. I have £113 to spend, what do you suggest that would benefit him?  Would love to hear your ideas please.

Hi zig zag, have you got any others on salt (not eypp?) we have quite a few so use the money on resources that will benefit all, we have made lots of laminated pictures that support the sounds they are finding difficult to pronounce ( I also include the time it took someone to make them) our senco does small group activities, making up games with the cards, we’ve also just bought a set of  hand held wooden mirrors, these are used for them to see themselves forming the mouth actions for ‘Mr Tongue’ stories.

No,  no others on salt.  I have been encouraging him to play picture lotto lots as I can do the “who’s got...”bit and then he becomes the caller and it encourages him to say the simple words with me there to recast back to him.  Just wondered what games or resources you have that would encourage development.

As you say he has the language already and freely uses it so it isn’t really about getting him to start using language, this is where we target their particular sounds need, have you or parents been able to pinpoint which sounds he’s missing/not pronouncing? Sometimes you can hear if the problem with a sound is when a vowel or consonant follows the initial sound e.g we have a little one who can say fish, fan, fog etc but then can’t sound the f in frog, flag, fly so we have a selection of f/consonant pic cards and make up silly rhymes with them or play snap but saying the word each time you lay a card so they practice the word and hear it correctly as you or other children lay a card.

If you don’t need to spend it in a resource what about sending a staff member of training to support speech and language development? 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)