Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

summative assessments/reinfinements

stray1968

Hi I am newish to Tapestry, my staff have been doing pre-sch assessments for them ready to go to school,

on each childs individual assessments some are showing  red below actual age 40-60  when developing

I don't want  parents look at them and think my child is below age

whats the best way to get parents to understand this assessment and there child isn't under achieving 

hope this makes sense

Hi stray1968,

Welcome to Tapestry and the Forum! I hope you're getting on well with them both so far!

The good news is that parents don't have access to that section of Tapestry, so they won't see those scores and become concerned. Those scores will carry through to the reports section though, so what you might want to do is create a new report, use the text box space to explain what the score means, and then make that visible to the parents. I know lots of settings actually go through those reports with parents face to face before making them visible on Tapestry so that might be something worth considering. You should also know that the colour coding won't carry through to reports so there won't be any obvious red ones. This tutorial will tell you about the reports section. 

If you want to print off the summative assessment snapshot for parents though, something you might want to think about is whether you actually agree with that colour coding. It sounds as though you might have it set to take refinements into account. That means that Tapestry splits each age band into 3 and sees if the child's actual age and their assessed age match. This tutorial will show you the full break down of all the age bands, but a 40-60 developing assessment would be where we'd expect a child who is between the ages of 47 and 53 months to be. Therefore, if the child is 54 months old or older then they will show up as being below. You can change it though so that if their actual age is anywhere in the age band (so any age above 40 months for the 40-60+ age band) their score shows up as green. This is the tutorial you need to see how to change that. 

Best wishes,
Lauren