Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adding more than 1 eyfs point in an observation

Alice87

When writing observations up I have noticed that I can only choose points from 1 age band. I have been trying to add another point from a higher age band but it then cancels out my other points I have chosen. Am I doing something wroing or can you only choose points from 1 area in 1 age band per observation?? 

Hi Alice87!

The Development Matters statements were not designed as a tick-list, or a set of milestones, where each child is expected to achieve them all. They are just examples of the kinds of behaviour and knowledge that children exhibit within those age bands. We really do not want to promote the process of turning them into a ticklist. We feel that by displaying the statements you've 'ticked' already, or allowing you to 'tick' statements across several age bands, this just encourages staff to start ticking the others! And before you know it, they're all ticked, and it's become a ticklist!

Nancy Stewart, co-author of the Development Matters, has written an article for us which further explains why the statements should not be used as a tick-list. You can find this article here. It is a really excellent article and I urge you to read it. In it, she explains that children do so much more than those statements might demonstrate and staff should be widening their observations and assessments of children.

You might also find the links below, to further articles on how to effectively assess using the EYFS, helpful to read through.

Everything You Need To Know About Observation - and Why We Do It
Observing and assessing extended tutorial for Tapestry users

I hope this was helpful, but if you have any more doubts about this, please do not hesitate to contact us on customer.service@eyfs.info

Best wishes,

Olaya

• FSFRebecca changed the title to Adding more than 1 eyfs point in an observation