Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

advice for a new teacher

No I haven't gone over to the dark sidexD This info is not for me!

So what advice would you give a teacher who is new to foundation stage? (she's taught in the same school and has previously taught year 1/5 and 6) but has never been in reception and is feeling somewhat anxious !

If she hasn’t already got membership to FSF then get it. As the only EY person in a small school the advice, reassurance and information I found on here when I was teaching reception were invaluable.

It’s been a couple of years since I had that role but I’ll help in any way I can. Is there anything in particular she’s anxious about?

PS What do you mean dark side?! ;)O.o

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Froglet said:

If she hasn’t already got membership to FSF then get it. As the only EY person in a small school the advice, reassurance and information I found on here when I was teaching reception were invaluable.

It’s been a couple of years since I had that role but I’ll help in any way I can. Is there anything in particular she’s anxious about?

PS What do you mean dark side?! ;)O.o

DO you know I hadn't even thought about the FSF:o!!!!!

She's had a really tricky year (very SEN heavy) and I think the lack of 'structure' or indeed the creating of that structure seems to be her issue at the moment. But I really appreciate the offer and i'll get back to you about that!! We are NOT sending her an easy group but she does have a very experienced TA who will be with her permanently who's keen to take on a bit more responsibility

14 hours ago, finleysmaid said:

DO you know I hadn't even thought about the FSF:o!!!!!

She's had a really tricky year (very SEN heavy) and I think the lack of 'structure' or indeed the creating of that structure seems to be her issue at the moment. But I really appreciate the offer and i'll get back to you about that!! We are NOT sending her an easy group but she does have a very experienced TA who will be with her permanently who's keen to take on a bit more responsibility

I know the toll those kind of tricky years can have!  It's interesting but I think that the various reception classrooms I have worked in have actually been some of the most structured - especially the larger ones (multiple classes).  It's just that the structure wasn't necessarily obvious to anyone else including the children!  An experienced TA will be a bonus!

• Thanks 1

Tell her to read the EYFS framework,  and access any training offered by her LA or MAT if her school is in one. 

Definitely learn about the EYFSP,  book on moderation, download the exemplification materials.

Find out from the TA what has worked well and what needs development. Don't reinvent the wheel if some things are working well.

Find out about the class, linking with you and any other preschools that fed them.

If the school does home visits, use the time to get to know the children and their families. Take the first few weeks to settle in, develop the environment, and find out what makes them tick. 

Don't be afraid to try new things but admit they didn't quite work. Ask, ask ask and then ask some more.

Get out and visit other classes if you can, this will give you ideas.

Above all, enjoy! 

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)