Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

GDPR

sarah666

sorry forgot to say welcome!! hadn't realised this had come up elsewhere ! I seem to be at that point where the 'silly' brigade has kicked in and there are some daft and misleading bits of info coming out about GDPR. If you have a legitimate interest for collecting data there really should be no issues IMO the visitors book would be one of those. It would be very hard to gleen much information from a signature time in and time out and a reason for visiting.

• Like 4

On 15/05/2018 at 12:18, finleysmaid said:

sorry forgot to say welcome!! hadn't realised this had come up elsewhere ! I seem to be at that point where the 'silly' brigade has kicked in and there are some daft and misleading bits of info coming out about GDPR. If you have a legitimate interest for collecting data there really should be no issues IMO the visitors book would be one of those. It would be very hard to gleen much information from a signature time in and time out and a reason for visiting.

<ROUND OF APPLAUSE FOR FINLEYSMAID> 

It's so refreshing to read a common sense reply about GDPR! I'm getting so frustrated on the various forums and FB groups with everyone going bananas about what you can and can't do post GDPR, that it's such a relief to know I'm not the only one who thinks people are bonkers!!! I've actually given up trying to 'help' in lots of cases (not here) as people just don't want to hear it. And the number of 'consultants' selling their (frankly rather rubbish) toolkits jumping on every post doesn't help stop the spread of misinformation either... Makes me so mad to see people just making money out of those who can least spend it! 

• Like 2

our LEA have put out very little information ...they really seem to be SO laid back they have gone the other way.! BUT one of the things they have said is that this is a progressive new law and the ICO do not expect everything to be in place this month ....but they did say that we should be making steps towards it though!

1 hour ago, finleysmaid said:

our LEA have put out very little information ...they really seem to be SO laid back they have gone the other way.! BUT one of the things they have said is that this is a progressive new law and the ICO do not expect everything to be in place this month ....but they did say that we should be making steps towards it though!

mmm, are they trying to calm the panic of those that haven't started? My understanding is that the regulation comes into effect on 25th May, and then it's the law.

2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

mmm, are they trying to calm the panic of those that haven't started? My understanding is that the regulation comes into effect on 25th May, and then it's the law.

I was reading information from parenta yesterday: 

A note on achieving compliance

Whilst it’s difficult at this stage to understand how the GDPR rules will be enforced, the penalties for non-compliance are severe. If your setting is found to be in breach of regulations after being investigated, you could face fines of up to 4% of your annual turnover. This is not of your profit – but your turnover! You could also face prosecution and ultimately imprisonment.

Of course, it will take time to review your current procedures for collecting data and to carry out an audit of what personal data you hold.  It will take longer still to put new policies and notices in place to make sure you’re GDPR compliant. However, so long as you can evidence that you’re taking clear steps towards achieving compliance now, you’re on the right path.

3 minutes ago, Mouseketeer said:

Of course, it will take time to review your current procedures for collecting data and to carry out an audit of what personal data you hold.  It will take longer still to put new policies and notices in place to make sure you’re GDPR compliant. However, so long as you can evidence that you’re taking clear steps towards achieving compliance now, you’re on the right path.

Really? I can't find anything on the ICO site that says that being 'on the right path' is good enough

• Like 1

lol maybe you're right Ladyshallot !

22 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Really? I can't find anything on the ICO site that says that being 'on the right path' is good enough

It doesn't seem like a good idea to put that out there....how long could someone get away with 'achieving compliance'?

P.s I am not shirking work I'm researching , please see my question on 'to do list' :ph34r:

Edited by Mouseketeer

2 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Hi Rebecca - here's a link to a quote from the ICO saying they're not looking for perfection, but a commitment...

https://www.gdprsummit.london/module_api/182859/blog/gdpr-journal/post/126032-gdpr--do-you-have-commitment-issues-

I wonder if that's what's being referenced to.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)