Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help with unsettled child who's Mum has cancer

We have a little girl who is 2 yrs old, recently started with us and is really struggling to settle.  She is very dependent on one member of staff and cries on and off all day - nothing specific sets her off but if her dependent member of staff needs the loo we have a massive melt down and throughout the day for no apparent reason she will start crying.  It is heart breaking and I would suggest to Mum, if the circumstances were different, to perhaps wait a little longer before leaving her but Mum is battling Cancer at the moment and having lots of treatment and appointments.  I cannot imagine what home life is like - parents have told the children that Mum is dying but how on earth can a 2 yr old comprehend that? We are doing as much as we can to support everyone but I wonder if anyone else had experienced similar and could signpost support services that may be able to help? 

Good morning hopytg,

That's such a sad situation to be dealing with. We did have a similar situation - mum was in hospital though, we spoke at length to Dad, and grandparents to see if there were things we could do to support the family as a whole. We made sure there was always someone available to the child for cuddles and to 'just' play. Our manager made sure she was there every pick up and drop off to talk if necessary. We made sure there were lots of photographs and pictures to take home and share too. We used Winston's Wish after mum had passed away. I am sure others will have excellent advice to offer.

• Like 1

Such a sad situation, we have a little one who's mum is having treatment but we are hopefully for a positive outcome :(

We are only open 21.5 hours a week, but we have said the child can have whatever hours are needed. A 2 year funded one for us too, But she did soon settle- to be honest I think we were one of the  things that remains 'a constant'  for her and I think that actually helps the child- small team same staff etc.

Like Rebecca says- we always have someone available to talk with whoever drops off/picks up the child,and we always try and make sure there are pictures to take home for mum.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)