Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Powerpoint

mundia

Ive just agreed in my performance managment cycle that I will develop the use of powerpoint for stories in the FS. (school focus is reading). Must have been a moment of madness. I do rememebr coming across a site that gave lots of downloadable stuff generally, but have no clue what it was. Any ideas anyone, or you any of you ICT experts out ther have experience of using powerpoint in this way?

I found a couple of good stories in Primary Resources, Gareth Pitchfords excellent site, otherwise try ICTeachers, Educate the Children or Teaching Ideas.

I have used powerpoint with stories, but I got the children to do it ie they retold the story of little red riding hood in words and pictures. They drew the pctures in Dazzle (an art program) and then they decided which order they put them in and added text. You can make one word appear at a time which would be great for reading and prediction skills. Even if the children can't access this straightaway, maybe you could work towards it.

Please excuse the lack of punctuation. It's the weekend and my jobshare partner usually teaches it!

Hope this may e of some help

Thanks for the addresses, susieb and also the idea kate. We dont have Dazzle (showing my ignorance, I have never heard of it). I dont suppose you have copy of one you have done that you wouldnt mind me looking at?

Um... Yes I do,ut not quite sure how to get it to you.

The easiest way would be if i could copy dics and post them to you if you could send me an address privately.

Unless Steve the PC whizz has any better ideas!!!!!!!!!

Hi Kate -

As long as the presentation file is only of a reasonable length (less than 500kb) you can upload it here, simply by clicking in the File Attachments field you can see when you are replying to this post, then browsing to the relevant file on your pc.

Let me know if you have any problems. :)

• 6 months later...

sorry Steve :o

I was trying to f ind the upload file button coudln't find it and took my husband's (un)helpful advice to "press that button" and xD 'hey presto' my "sneeze" was on screen :D

Leo

:o

All u people out there with knowledge on PowerPoint PLEASE can someone help me? I am an NVQ Assessor who is about to give a presentation to a class of First Year National Diploma In Early Years Students. This is the first time I have had to use PowerPoint and was horrified at the price of the package needed to do this (£200!!!!). I have, though, found that the local library has the software (or hardware!?!) installed and I can use theirs for £1 for 20mins.

This is all well and good but why is it soooooo expensive to buy? If this is the way technology is going in schools and buisness why not make it more accessable?

Anyway..... The title of the presentation is 'With reference to computer programmes for young children - What are their purpose and values, and how do they link into Early Years Curriculum and National Curiculum'. As I noticed a few of u are using them within a classroom situation and wondered if u would give me your views on how well it works and how u implement it into your planning. Any views would be greatly appreciated!!!

Many Thanks!!!!

Julie Mc

I like to use powerpoint within my nursery classroom. I have made a number of preseentations that the class enjoys looking at

I have also been writing chidlren's recipies, in child's speak with a lot of clipart. this helps in sequencing tasks and also basic counting skills etc. I could email you some of the presentations that I have done- if its of any use to you.

While cooking I use in with a small group who then relate it to the whole group at whole class carpet time. I have used photographs of our nursery trips on powerpoint for chidlren to see at a later date. I find it useful and it would be even better if I had a projector and white screen availbale at all times.

• 3 months later...

I have used Powerpoint to make a variety of useful resources for Foundation Stage. The problem with Powerpoint is that different versions work in different ways. All of my Powerpoints were made with the latest version and therefore the animations don't work with earlier versions of Powerpoint.

Camelsdale School do have some excellent resources and you will find other resources for Foundation Stage on http://www.mgrid.org.uk/

I have found that using the digital camera and the microphone the children enjoy making their own Powerpoints to make books about what they have been doing in school.

If anyone has any ideas how Powerpoint resources can be packaged to deal with the problem of different versions I'd love to hear about them!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)