Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Beat Baby, Beat Baby..

Hi Everyone

Have you got a Beat Baby? I went on our Early Years Conference the other day and was fortunate to take part in a workshop run by Ros Bayley. She was also the key note speaker in the afternoon. She is so inspiring.

I had seen the Beat Baby before but just thought it was a bit twee. But following the workshop I now have one too.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has used one and the response from your children.

Mel C

:o

PS How do I make a link to another post?

I don't know what a Beat Baby is - could someone please explain, as I probably need one very badly, but just never knew it!

Hi Everyone

Have you got a Beat Baby? I went on our Early Years Conference the other day and was fortunate to take part in a workshop run by Ros Bayley. She was also the key note speaker in the afternoon. She is so inspiring.

I had seen the Beat Baby before but just thought it was a bit twee. But following the workshop I now have one too.

I was just wondering if anyone out there has used one and the response from your children.

Mel C

:o

PS How do I make a link to another post?

49844[/snapback]

We use beat baby and the children love him :D found a big improvement in listening skills in particular

I've got one. Not used it for ages, have just bought the beatbabies 10 finger puppets as am having a big splurge on counting skills.

Our children ask for Beat Baby to come out regularly, I use the raps and also the 'Wiggle Jiggle Count! CD of number rhymes. I brought our resources after attending one of Ros Bayleys workshops organised by Lawrence Educational Publishers.Their web address is:

www.educationalpublications.com

We have a few of the books think they are

Helping children with steady beat

helping children to listen

helping children to speak with confidence

like the look of some of the resources thanks mundia :)

Thanks Linda for the link on how to make links. Will give it a go. I think you're right Mundia that you would need the book, helping children with a steady beat to get you started. There was a pull out in EYE Feb 2004 (if anyone's like me you'll have them stashed in a box in the loft), which explains about Beat Baby and has some of the rhymes from the book in it.

I've just been and bought some magical material (voile with lots of tiny multi coloured stars on) to use to make his special blanket.

Now I can't wait until Monday. I haven't been in my class as I've had a trainee teacher in there and I'm planning to introduce Beat Baby straight away.

Mel C

PS will let you know how it goes

Hi please can somebody explain what the point of 'beat babies' are? I have never heard of them before but I feel like I want one!! I get the impression they are a puppet? But what is so special about them? How do they help with all the different areas of learning as people have mentioned numeracy, PSE, speaking and listening?

Please fill me in!

Hi emma Jane. The beat baby is a cuddly toy which comes in a ball shape and is then opened up to reavel the 'baby' and used in circle time. If you have a quick peep at the link I posted above it explains a bit about why beat competancy is important and also has a picture of the beat babies so you can see what they look like. The children do seem to love them.

Beat baby is great, i wasn't sure how it would work initially but from the first time we used it the children were absolutely mesmerised! It is really interesting to see which ch are able to hold a steady beat... not as many as we thought!

Hi Andreamay,

All I think you need to get you started is the book Helping children with a steady beat and a beat baby. I've used the beat baby the last 2 days and the kids think its wonderful: they have painted pictures of it, told their parents and treat it very gently. I also bought the rap pack: I've only done 2 action raps so far but the kids can't get enough of it. However, I did get odd looks from the parents today after the children obviously went home and shared them!

Buy one and enjoy!

Mel C :)

• 8 months later...
:D We used our Beat baby to support hibernation, the children built it a home and collected food they thought it might like to eat. We then added it to our hibernation book, which the children made. It promoted fantastic opportunities for the children to talk.

we use the rap packs too, got a CD with them when we bought it, parents did at first ask what we were doing until they got used to them, the children adore them particularly one about a helicopter spinning round and round. They all know the actions and follow instructions from the Cd when they have free dance/ music sessions.

Inge

I've not heard of them before and I've just tried the past link Mundia put on but am getting a message it's been deleted (the link works but the page displayed has a message on it) can anyone post a different link? Thanks!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)