Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

English As A Second Language Policy

I have been asked by my manager if i could write a policy/action plan for how we would cater for a child with English as a second language. I have a few ideas, but feel that I need lots more, and would be very grateful for all the help I could get!!

Thank you in advancexx

Hi daisydoo!

What about imcluding things like providing dual language books, lables written in english and another language positioned to enable children to identify equipment and resources, working with parents/organisations within the local community e.g. sure start.

I hope this helps. :)

Clare

Dear Daisydoo

I am studying for my Svq3 in Early Years Care and Ed, at present I am trying (slowly) to complete unit C11 which is all about language and communication. I have in front of me exactly what you need. It is a booklet produced by the Scottish Executive called learning in 2 languages. The website is www.LTScotland.org.uk here you will find a range of links to gvt documents articles and advice. LTS also recommend these web sites www.hvec.org.uk and The National Association for Language Development in the Cirriculum (NALDIC) www.naldic.org.uk

Hope this is of some help

Zan

You need to think about equality of provision and access to the curriculum - how do you scaffold the learning for a child whose cognitive development is in line with all the others, they just don't operate in English. How do you assess their level of competence in mathematical understanding say or their understanding of the world around them? How will you value their culture and the language they use at home with their family and friends? How will you support them to engage in language rich, context high activities. I think these kinds of questions are important to ask as they would underpin the fundamental approach to your policy.

Cx

If you do a google search you can find translation services online. Some charge so be careful, but I have used one in the past to translaste stuff for parents into Greek. Think also about having policies available on audio tape both in English and the language your families are if you can get someone to do it for you. Often a family may be able to speak English but not read it, and it also helps English people with no reading skills, but offer it as an aid to their busy life, suggest that they can listen while ironing, rather than 'we know you cant read so... ' :D

If you do try one of the translation services , once you have translated into your chosen language, try to translate it back into english....the result is very often not quite what you intended to say and occasionally says nothing intelligable at all!! :o

An interesting exercise

Inge

I seem to remember Steve playing around with Babel fish for a happy half hour. :D It is quite funny to type in something and then translate it back to see what you end up with. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)