Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Growing Articles.

Steve

Hi all -

Apologies for the messed up format of the first Growing article. It's now working again, and to make up for it I've just posted a new one, which gives suggestions for gardening projects through the year!

Courtesy of mundia, you can find it here :)

Thank you Mundia and Steve. What a great article and resource to add to ours. I hope you don't mind Steve but I've recommended this site on my ou forum. Cos it's brill

Angie

Mundia, that is fantastic. I know the article was aimed at pre-schools, but it'll help me too. So far I have only had time to dig a couple of small areas on my allotment, and with the best will in the world I havent been able to fathom the veg book I bought especially. The tip about putting snails into the compost is great, thank you :D:D

Thanks for that very useful article mundia.

I have been struggling with planting times for an Amaryllis bulb - you know the sort you can grow over a vase of water. It doesn't seem to matter whether I set it off at the beginning of the topic or nearer the middle, the blooming thing always flowers during the hols and the children miss the magic :o

Harricroft

thanks. Sadly i get this when I follow that link.

Warning: main(/home/foundation/public_html/newfsf/articles/members/apology3.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/foundati/public_html/newfsf/Topics/FSFArticle_145.php on line 287

Warning: main(/home/foundation/public_html/newfsf/articles/members/apology3.html): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/foundati/public_html/newfsf/Topics/FSFArticle_145.php on line 287

Warning: main(): Failed opening '/home/foundation/public_html/newfsf/articles/members/apology3.html' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/foundati/public_html/ipbsdk/') in /home/foundati/public_html/newfsf/Topics/FSFArticle_145.php on line 287

and Im pretty sure I didnt write THAT!!!!

sorry Harricroft, Amaryllis eh? Mine is just about to flower.

I have some in depth scientific research on this very issue!

I gave 4 of these bulbs(not knowing what the plural is of amaryllis), gave 3 to friends and family and kept one for myself. We started them all off at the same time, their have all flowered and died, mine is just about to flower.

Scientific conclusion?

They dont like the cold and our house is freezing! If you want them to flower earlier, warm them up, or later, cool them down.

Id say in a warm place from bulb to flower allow 4-5 weks, in arctic conditions like ours, allow 6-7 weeks.!!

Have been shopping today and purchased pea, carrot sweetcorn, etc seeds ready for planting after half term. :) Thanks for the article Mundai very helpful as I am having an ongoing disagreement with the head when is the best time to move shrubs (someone planted prickly things outside the Foundation Stage Unit) :o:(xD

Not sure if this is the right place to add this but here goes anyway. Just wanted to let you know about our success with planting potatoes in plastic carrier bags. We planted some seed potatoes in soil in carrier bags and they were great. We had a bucket of water and some watering cans which the children could access when they went outside to water them. They even dried out a couple of times because it was so warm and dry, and we'd forgoten them. Can't remember when we planted them but I'm sure there would be instructions on the packet. It was very exciting digging through the soil to harvest the crop, we then made a potato salad and did some printing with some.

Deb

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Mundia, I was just looking for something I can plant when we come back after Easter and your growing guide saved me a google search :)

Good work and thanks,

Megsmum

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)