Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing 16-26 Months

Thank you Finleysmaid

I'm a reception teacher, I did a some internal moderation with our nursery. A lot of our children had been judged as being at 16-26 on entry in September.

I thought that this was too low for the majority of them.

On entry for nursery.

17/22 we recorded at 16-26 mths for writing.

I just thought it a little odd to have so many children at that stage. I'm not in that class so It's tricky to say without know the children. so I was looking for a little help.

On entry for nursery.

17/22 we recorded at 16-26 mths for writing.

I just thought it a little odd to have so many children at that stage. I'm not in that class so It's tricky to say without know the children. so I was looking for a little help.

i would expect a proportion to be at 22-36 months as this is their chronological age...most of my 2 and a half year olds would be mark making and using large hand and arm movements (in action songs/physical/ribbon dancing etc!) perhaps the feeder setting is looking for use of pencils/drawing tools only? this would be inappropriate for this age group IMO

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your advice, I was of the same opinion as you. I think you're right regarding the nursery expectation. I've been in reception for so long now that I wasn't 100% confident that I was right.

Thank you Finleysmaid. Have a great weekend.

Thank you and have a lovely weekend. x

• Like 1

Totally agree with Finleysmaid - sorting with fine motor pincer grip, pegging, mark making with fingers in wet/dry media, threading - ooh I could go on and on and on but don't want to bore you!!

I had an interesting conversation with my sister in law who was asking my advice regarding getting my nephew (just 2) to start to write. When I spoke to her about the sort of things he liked to do and suggested a few things her response was but you haven't even mentioned a pencil - which kind of says it all really!!

• Like 1

Going into a nursery class children are typically term after 3rd birthday so really I would pitch 30 - 50 as a typical stage of development given the majority would be 36+ months and could be even 40+months if a september 3 and starting in Jan.

Sometimes giving meaning to marks as they draw and paint and ascribes meanings to marks that they see in different places is what I would typically expect if they have had a rich experience prior to starting in Nursery.

If the nursery is saying 16 - 26 they are in effect saying the cildren are possibly developmentally a year behind where they would typically be. Are they really operating in a similar way to 2 yr olds?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)