Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Maternity Benefits

I have had eight members of staff go on maternity leave over the past two years and one due in the spring. This has been difficult to manage and I see no end in sight!

The person covering 'number eight' has told me she is pregnant. She has been employed by me for four weeks on a nine month maternity cover contract.

Will I be responsible for paying SMP?

Please...no jokes about there being something in the water or which chair they all sat on. I do still have a sense of humour but I have heard it all! ::1a :wacko:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks Mouseketeer, that's what I thought. So, in other words, a person needs to have been in their job for one week (40 weeks minus 15 weeks is 25 and they need to have been working for 26 weeks) ! :o

You would think I knew all this by now wouldn't you!

Thanks Mouseketeer, that's what I thought. So, in other words, a person needs to have been in their job for one week (40 weeks minus 15 weeks is 25 and they need to have been working for 26 weeks) ! :o

You would think I knew all this by now wouldn't you!

I don't understand your calculation?

If they have to have been working continuously for you for at least 26 weeks where has the 1 week come from? (it might just be me having a slow day!)

Sorry, what I meant was, someone only needs to have been in their job for one week before getting pregnant to qualify for SMP. 40 weeks minus 15 weeks is 25 weeks and you need to have been working for 26 weeks by the time you're 25 weeks pregnant! It makes your head spin doesn't it! :blink: :1b

Ah, yes I see. Makes sense now - I thought you meant they could be pregnant and then get a job specifically to enable themselves to get Maternity benefits - although I suppose if you were only 6 weeks pregnant and worked up to and after 32 weeks you could do that! Mmm, it does indeed make you think!

• Like 1

You need to know the due date to work it out properly, but think i would advise getting some proper advice as well if it turns out that you have to pay SMP, I would be unsure how that works when her contract ends, would you stop paying at that time or do you have to continue for the whole of maternity? Doesn't hurt to double check. I really feel for you and hope you get it worked out.