Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Selecting more than one age band

Why is it that we cannot select 2 different age bands? For example when doing a large observation the staff are often saying they want to mark off some statements in 30-50 and also in 40-60.

Also is there a way I could make staff only able to view their own children's obs, but be able to write obs about any of the children in the setting. They are finding that when they go back to finish an obs they are having to scroll through loads before getting to their child. I know that I can limit them to see only their key children but if I do that they cannot complete an ob for someone else's key child. (That's if I've understood it correctly?)

• Like 1

Hi - well done on making your first post!

The 'selecting more than one age band has been discussed on the forum recently, I have linked you to the threads: selecting more than one age band / selecting more than one age band 2

If they are on the browser and searching for children is taking a long time they can use the search functions - the filter option is in the middle of the page - they can search for observations by them only, or search for obs by child.

I would set your package like this:

Staff to see all children on tablet - then they can add obs on any child, then, way they go to browser - filter results on observation page to show obs by 'staff member name'

Thanks very much for the reply. I have another question! Just been going through the staff obs that they have been doing today and at the moment we are printing the obs out as we are still doing the scrapbook style learning journeys alongside Tapestry. How do I print them out easily? I can no longer see the print button on this updated version of Tapestry. We are going to be printing them out until July next year, then we will be doing all of it online.

If you click on the observation at the right hand side you will see an 'export' to 'printer friendly' option. It does seem a bit strange to be printing them out one by one - if you are doing this to show parents (because you still want to stick them into a paper journal) why don't you wait until a period of time has passed (like a 1/2 term) and then 'export' the journal to PDF and then parents could print them themselves, or you could print them and add them to your scrap books.

I'm assuming you have a good reason to be printing observations out as it rather defeats the object of having an online facility? If you need a bit of help and advice on how to get it all set up and working well for you then drop a support ticket in to us customer.service@eyfs.info and we can see what we can do to help.

Yes I know it seems strange! The reason is because the staff are getting a feel for using Tapestry and are still mainly using their scrap books. The scrap books were already started for those children we had last academic year so from September 2017 we will no longer be printing them. That is so long as we all decide that Tapestry is the way to go for us. Yes it is a total pain printing them out really! This new version makes all the print outs so much bigger too! The other version had an option to choose what was printed, can I do this with the new version? Also if I had to print out the whole journal for say a parent who does not have access to a computer etc... it is going to be huge.

We are working on some new export formats because we've had feedback from others that the new format takes up too much space on the page when printing. I've turned these on for your setting so you can evaluate them. When you go to export an observation, you should now see the the "Export" button has a drop-down menu which adds two new options. The "compact" option reduces the size of images, text and spacing to make the observation take up less space on the page. The "printer friendly" option is the same as the "compact" option but additionally removes background colours (to use less ink). You should find the same options are now available when exporting the whole journal to PDF.