Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery buildings - make sure your business rates are right!

Thanks very much for this Rebecca. I am hoping we will be exempt from business rates from next year which will save us thousands a year.

Could I just point out that you don't have to own your nursery property to register. We rent our building.

Thanks very much for this Rebecca. I am hoping we will be exempt from business rates from next year which will save us thousands a year.

Could I just point out that you don't have to own your nursery property to register. We rent our building.

Thank you for pointing that out - I've changed the title to be more inclusive!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We used to hire a room from a community association within a centre years ago. We had no lease in place just a rental agreement for hours between 7.30am - 6pm. We paid Business rates for 3 years.. to find out we didn't need to pay them and we managed to get a full refund :P - due to not being lease holders of the space we used and sole occupier of the space.

Just thought that might help others!

Thank you for sharing the date April 2017.. we will look forward to it, now we are in new leased premises!

We are a private nursery who "rented" a room within a charity based community centre. No lease in place just a rental agreement (kind of) and although good that we didn't pay business rates (eventually) it was not a great business model! It worked for us at the time though.

The reason i asked the question is because we are a registered charity who own our building. We used to get 100% discount as a charity but over the last couple of years it has dropped to 80% discount - I think. So, in theory, we could pay more than a private nursery???