Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS checks

Some of my staff have CRBs, some have DBSs.

My understanding is that we don't need to update them.

However, if they do have DBS do they have to do the mobile part of the check?

And do they have to update it annually?

We are the same. I was thinking of starting a rolling program to move everyone onto the DBS or maybe wait until we have to. I would get staff to join the update service but I don't think it is a requirement, except for committee members/owners etc. You just have to make sure you have a regular process to check their suitability. I think ??????

You are right, only committee have to join the update service, staff don't have to and we haven't insisted as it is only valid for a year anyway I think, and we hope that they stay with us longer than that!

The difference is that CRBs used to belong to the setting - which is why those of us who worked in schools, and a nursery and helped out at other youth groups ended up having several CRB certificates. The DBS belongs to the person (not the group) so, if you pay for the update service (£13 a year) you can take your DBS between groups and they can run a quick check on it (they need your full name, date of birth and the DBS certificate number) That means that if you change jobs or go and help out at another groups you don't need to apply for a new one each time, and pay out the large 'new application fee'. The update service takes an annual direct debit and means that your 'ongoing suitability' can be easily checked as the update service will run the details through the central database to make sure nothing has changed with the status of the certificate and you, remain suitable. You have to sign up for the update service within a couple of weeks of getting your new DBS certificate.

• Like 1

For us Staff, we paid to get them on DBS from CRB or if new initial DBS. They can use them were needed or in new post so we put it they must sign up and pay the fee, however we give option to pay it and deduct from wages. If a new certificate is needed if information has been added to the check then they pay for new one too.

Taking on new staff with update service is great as an employer literally can start there and then (obviously if references have come in)

• Like 1