Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Zero hour contract and time off....

Does any one work or have experience of working on an zero hour contract??? Within our setting all our staff are on a zero hour contract except for possibly the manager and deputy although I'm not 100% sure. The thing is when i first started I was just to do a few hours here and there and mainly cover. But as the pre school got busier I was asked to do a few more until the end of term, then a few more and before I knew it I was working full time even though I never really wanted to do it permanently. We don't get sick pay and every September our working days are uncertain. I've tried asking to reduce my hours but they never do as I find working full time too much but I feel like I've been gradually tricked into it by being led to think it was only temporary. The thing is there are times where I would like time off for personal things such as school meetings or appointments things that are difficult to arrange outside working hours however the management are being really funny about it and are not saying they will allow it even with months notice. I understand their side of things but surely if they employ on zero hour contracts the flexibility needs to be a 2 way thing. I'm just getting so annoyed with company as it all seems to play in their favour. At the minute we have no cleaner and are being told we need to stay behind until everything is clean and tidy meaning hoovering and mopping etc. I've been leaving work 15/ 20 minutes late every day. I'm at a point where I want to hand my notice in but a couple of other staff have left and I'd really be dumping them in it so close to the end of summer term. I love my job, the kids but company and the treatment of their staff is awful .

I don't know how zero hour contract really work, except they are mostly geared to the employer. You're good for not wanting to leave them with few staff but remember they don't guarantee you work, don't pay sickness, holiday nor it seems care about you when you're there. In your place I'd look out for me! ?

Ive been working 30 hours for over 3 years now but have nothing in my contract to say that I have to work so many hours. It just doesn't seem fair for them to be able to say we don't need you in September or not us pay sick pay especially when we suffer from work related illnesses because parents send their kids in regardless. Also since we had a successful ofsted result they have reduced our staffing or have not replaced those who have left.

Zero hours contract is different to casual contracts, I use casual for our bank staff so don't take all I say as given as I don't use '0' hours. It sounds a hard one so speak to acas, it will go on what's in your contract as statements such as 'employer has the right to vary hours in accordance with business needs' will cover them. They should pay you SSP but you don't have a right to more than that as added benefits from this are down to each employer, make sure you are getting holiday pay as well I believe it's near impossible to recoup holiday pay after leaving the job.

You can submit a flexible working request in writing and they have a given time to respond, the response must be clear and note why they can not allow your request, they should balance the needs of the setting and see if there is any room for manoeuvre.

Read your contract word for word and phone for advice, I know my casual contracts allow the employee the ability to refuse no more than 3 assignments in a row.

If you have been employed for 2 or more years you will have lots of rights, under 2 years service your rights arnt as strong.

Luckily we do get holiday pay. I'm just annoyed that they being funny about me having the odd day off when I've given them notice. Surely I have the right to say I can't work these days if they have not given me contracted hours to work???

Luckily we do get holiday pay. I'm just annoyed that they being funny about me having the odd day off when I've given them notice. Surely I have the right to say I can't work these days if they have not given me contracted hours to work???

yes ..the acas website makes it quite clear that if they are not prepared to give you a contract you have every right to pick and chose your hours

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)