Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Updated 28th April. Official transcript of Parlimentary Debate.

I've got 1/2 way through the listen again feature. The other half will have to wait until the weekend - my thoughts so far are that I thought the EY representatives were extremely good - very articulate and wholly in control of the data - much more so than the MPs. So far, the EY team looks very business-like and very 'on-point' . This can only reinforce the professionalism of the sector to MPs.

• Like 2

Yes I got the distinct impression that not only did he feel rates were satisfactory but that there were very good reasons for the differing amounts that are paid.

I too have only watched just over half. I thought the EY reps did very well, in particular Zoe Raven (CEO of Acorn Chlldcare) She made some very valid comments and got her point across really well.

• Like 1

I too have only seen 'snapshots' - was cooking at the time - but cannot say I had much faith in Chris Wormalds responses - very evasive - I understand hes changing posts so maybe he's not that bothered!! When John Pugh, was it? said - "I think your getting out at the right time" - I though Yes thats probably true of most of us!! Also Chris Wormalds response to a question of funding - remarked on the lines of "well, early years providers want more money, well they would" - shrug of the shoulder - quite dismissive I thought.

He also did'nt really 'get' the question with regard to lack of uptake on training qualified staff .....they cannot have one without the other, 30 hours 'free' funding' = more qualified staff to do the job!

Sorry Chris, not disappointed your jumping ship!!

• Like 1

Yes i felt they made some great points on behalf of us all. Although I guess things are done differently depending on the local authority "local government" they like to call them. Public Servants I prefer because they are supposed to work to benefit the public and to listen to what the public need in all sectors. What we ask for and what we get, seem to not correlate very much however. Sorry to digress! In our area the Council actually do a decent job in the children's services department, in my opinion. We are lucky to have a department that seem far ahead of many others.

With regards to the payments point being made, we do already have monthly average payments and a decent rate of funding for 3/4 year old's living in Deprived areas and also with the luxury of extra funding for employing an EYT or QTS. So the rate per hour is actually not too bad at all. If all "local governments" could be the same then things might work out pretty well.

Just as a side note and to just make a comparison here, not being mean at all.. have any of you ever watched Facejacker? Or the Dufrais Constantinople character in particular? watch him and let me know your thoughts :P

Public Accounts Committee notes.docx

I've written up my notes on the meeting for anyone who is interested - It's a whistle-stop tour through the things that were discussed and I've done my best to capture the topics discussed. Apologies if I've missed anything. The 'official' transcript will be published in the next few days which will be better than mine - when it appears I will post it on this thread. Until then - this is the best we can do!

• Like 3