Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Helping a child with numbers

Hi

I'm new to EY and on a placement in a FS2 class, there is a child in the class who I have noticed can recognize numbers but cannot write them. For example if there were objects and numbers on a piece of paper they could count the objects and then identify the right number and draw a circle around it. If it was just objects they could count the objects but then would not be able to write the number. How can I best help this child?

Many thanks

They don't really like writing I have seen very little writing (only been there 6 days though), more of a creative/imaginative child avoids anything to do with maths/literacy as much as possible. I know that probably sounds like a number of sweeping statements and I hope it comes across in the best way possible, I just want to help and support this child the best I can. Pencil grip is fine, good control (in what I have seen). I couldn't decide if it was just extra support in number formation that would be best or if it's not something to be concerned about and they will make sense of it given time.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, you all seemed so lovely/helpful/supportive which is why I just subscribed to ask for guidance around this particular child.

Would it help to have a reason to write numbers/record amounts? E.g. playing skittles and recording scores so you can see who won as you'd forget scores otherwise?! They are expected to show an interest in representing numbers in nursery (it's in 30-50 band). Or writing numbers on playground for parking bays?

I'd also explore their conceptual understanding of numbers as a albel for a quantity. Do they understand this? Can they demonstrate their understanding of more/less as a comparison of quantity? Do they understand 6 is more than 2 for example by looking and seeing. There is much to explore conceptually - have a look at any mathematical development texts you have as part of your training and see where they might need development.

Cx

ps - You'll find this is one of the most well behaved forums on the interweb!! It's very supportive so feel free to ask, question, debate and engage!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try a few out this week, they are looking at quantities in number time which is more and which is less, so will make sure I am close by to check understanding. I am just wary of bombarding the child with too many ideas/notions and confusing them. Will see what else I can discover this week.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...

i do lots of writing numbers in the air, on the carpet and on their hand (they love it because it tickles!) at the beginning of the year so that children get used to the shape of the numbers before expecting them to write them with pencils.

deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)