Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Play-dough mats

Hi,

Hope everyone is enjoying or looking forward to enjoying their Easter/Spring holidays.

I was wondering if anyone uses play-dough mats. I have heard a few 'experts' dismiss them for different reasons but I find the sometimes the play-dough table needs a few ideas and have made a few myself e.g. drawing around a cutter shape and putting the numerals beside the shape for children to match and count. Do you find the printable ones are used (I haven't used them for a few years and remember that they were not that well used?) and are effective?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Not sure really, we have used them, made them ourselves, outlines of heads to make funny hairstyles on, crocodiles with no teeth, need to role the die and cut out that many teeth, or add stars to the space mat. At the moment Playdoh are offering free A2 mats with ideas for use, but not free Playdoh, they are bright and colourful and may engage some of the younger children for a while. I have tried to copy in their latest newsletter to me - not sure how successful that is!!

Castles of Fun over Easter

Travel on a journey back in time with Peterkin the Jester, where Roman gladiators seek new recruits and medieval knights and princesses roam. Play-Doh has partnered with English Heritage to bring fun to the Easter holiday weekend.

At Dover Castle, Play-Doh will be hosting castle-themed crafting sessions as part of the annual Children’s Festival.

There will be an Easter Adventure Quest at each of the 24 English Heritage sites listed on the right. Free Play-Doh and activity booklets will be given to every quest participant. Rise to the challenge and reap a Play-Doh reward. It’s time to get hands-on with history! Let your families know. Better still, go along and enjoy the fun yourselves.

When: Fri 25th-Mon 28th March 2016

Asbey de la Zouch Castle
Audley End

Battle Abbey
Beeston Castle
Belsay Hall
Birdoswald Roman Fort
Bolsover Castle
Brodsworth Hall
Carlisle Castle
Chesters Roman Fort
Corbridge Roman Town
Down House
Framlingham Castle
Housesteads Roman Fort
Kenilworth Castle
Kenwood
Old Sarum
Pendennis Castle
Richmond Castle
Scarborough Castle
Tintagel Castle
Walmer Castle
Witley Court
Wrest Park

Now down to the numbers

Play 1-2-3 aims to help in meeting the requirement to teach the numbers zero to ten, with the play mat, and join single numbers together to learn numbers 11 to 20. The play mat is on its way to you and the teaching resource is here for you to download.

The resource covers number learning as well as shapes and different structures. Modelling compound helps to grasp size and weight. The PowerPoints can be used in parts or as a whole and you can return to all of them time and again. Young children love the familiar and learn from repetition. You can download each accompanying PowerPoint below.

Counting up and down again

Count with me introduces the numbers from zero to 20 on a colourful PowerPoint. I can count is a finger gym teaching to count from one to ten on your fingers. Ten crazy bottles makes counting backwards fun using a well-known nursery rhyme, and changing the lyrics!

Explore Basic Shapes

Basic Shapes helps children explore words for shapes, and with older children, look at the words associated with different sizes. The Play 1-2-3 mat and the use of modelling compound is used to identify and explore these shapes.

What shape am I?

What shape am I? features three different shapes with the word of the shape being asked for. The word links to one of the three shapes.

Look at me

Look at me reinforces shapes linked to sizes asking children to investigate what is bigger and what is smaller by using modelling compound.

To unsubscribe please click here

• Like 1

I've recieved that resource too Panders - although not the newsletter so thank you for that :1b did you recieve the Farm one? as again I didn't get the newsletter.

I like 1 or 2 mats occasionally but the are usually more to focus the adults on what language we are currently looking for eg length or shapes or counting

• Like 1

I've recieved that resource too Panders - although not the newsletter so thank you for that :mellow: did you recieve the Farm one? as again I didn't get the newsletter.

I like 1 or 2 mats occasionally but the are usually more to focus the adults on what language we are currently looking for eg length or shapes or counting

Yes I did, we had to register for all of this last year some time and I gave up "hope" that anything would ever come. Have looked back through e mails to see if I can get some kind of link for everyone but cant find anything, (blame the up date to windows 10 for that :mellow: :wacko: .

There is an e mail address you can try - play-doh@rapportgroup.com 020 8973 0040

Edited by Panders
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)