Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

DBS question

Is there a requirement to have a DBS renewed after a certain length of time for staff ?

If so, after how long and is this just guidance or a legal requirement from OfSTED ?

well not much to add really.. no not required but of course it's good practice to keep all staff checked. A good time is during Supervisions with staff to have a form to complete including the question regarding recent convictions that could effect your suitability and to also make staff aware they must inform you at the earliest opportunity.

I guess we are relying on staff to be honest with us, but also the yearly update service for staff dbs will highlight any recent convictions. Well it's the best system we have at the moment.

Am I right in thinking the following - Committee members have to have suitability checks (EY2 forms complete) and belong to the DBS update service as they are the employers. However the staff are only required to have DBS checks and as written above suitability checked yearly by the provision they work for. The staff are not required to have a new DBS and join the update service?? It is the legal responsibility of the employer to ensure that references etc are taken up upon entry and Identification checked??

I have read and re read all the OFSTED literature and this is what I have gathered. If anyone could confirm that I'm reading this correctly that would be great.

Many thnaks

That's my understanding. We are not insisting that existing staff go onto the dbs system until it becomes a requirement. We will carry on asking questions about suitability during supervisions and filling in annual declarations. We are insisting that any new staff we employ apply for a dbs and sign up to update service or already are on the update service which we can check.