Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play

Hi :)

Just wondered if anyone had any good links to 'outdoor play does not lead to illness...' type links please?

We are starting to get the usual grumblings about children being outdoors and catching colds, which, as we know, is ridiculous, but I'd like to be able to point parents in the direction of some evidence to back up what we tell them!

We have one parent who is particularly bad about this. Thing is I know for a fact that Dad spends loads of time outdoors with them. Mum is Greek and am wondering if that may be a factor? Not sure how low temperatures go out there!! So I too would love something to back this up. Have you tried I'm a teacher get me out of here? Their maybe something on there.

There is a study by from a research centre in Sweden (only is available in Swedish), referred to by different sources in English:

Grahn (1997) showed that kindergartens where children are able to play in a natural environment, have less illness [...] among children than kindergartens where children play in an ordinary playground.

Children who play regularly in natural environments [...] are sick less often (Grahn, et al. 1997).

Grahn, P., Martensson, F., Llindblad, B., Nilsson, P., & Ekman, A., (1997). UTE pa DAGIS, Stad & Land nr. 93/1991 Sveriges lantbruksuniversitet, Alnarp

Edited by Wildflowers

Kept on researching online and found a Norwegian study showing not difference in absenteeism between outdoor and 'indoor' nurseries. Germs and viruses may be passed on to a lesser degree outdoors, but children spending much time outdoors still catch illnesses from siblings and others.

I'm outside for three hours every morning and know that I get ill from being cold if fighting a virus. However, if I got lots of warm layers at work, I don't get ill. If parents dress their children well, I can't see how being outside could make anyone ill. (However, if they have asthma and it's really cold, then it may not be a good idea.)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)