Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Boys need a different EYFS

I will take a look at this blog to see why boys would require a different curriculum. I understand that Boys on average do not attain as well as girls at an early age at least. This seems to be the norm for many settings i guess?

The reason for this in my opinion is that boys generally prefer to be more Physical and they are not as interested in some areas including Communication and Language, Literacy or Maths that usually fall behind in comparison to girls learning. Many boys in my experience like to be superhero's and like to play physically with toys, and they like to run around and burn energy in a physical way rather than mentally or gradually.

So maybe rather than changing the curriculum, boys might be encouraged to develop skills in other areas of learning by doing so in a more inviting way that boys prefer and are interested in. There have been talks recently about using the 'extra energy of boys' in a positive way to encourage development in all areas of learning.

• Like 2

worryingly if you read the original telegraph article (what a surprise the conservative telegraph!!) I suspect this is all designed around the getting the 'poor' back to work ....under the guise of because their children are doing less well. Now don't get me wrong there is evidence behind some of this but I don't think this article is well thought out or presented....I have several issues with what the Quirky teacher is saying.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)