Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transgender Children Article - What you think?

Read the article here

The above article is from daynurseries.co.uk regarding children as young as 4 years old that parent's have concerns about regarding a condition called Gender Identity Disorder (GID)

In my opinion any child especially young child simply can't begin to make this decision, so why should parent's be making it?

I'm not sure what my opinion is on gender identity in nursery age children but for a head teacher to say about a four-year-old "I thought she was gay or very sensitive" is very misguided and I'm surprised she would make a statement like that in a published article.

• Like 1

I have experienced a number of children who have chosen to do or wear what is stereotypically for the opposite sex including my nephew who is now 5 and my little boys best friend (who is a girl). In all cases the parents have allowed their children to explore their preferences freely although they have always conformed to gender-typical dress within school without becoming upset. In the case of my nephew, he just accepts his school uniform as what it is. He has worn a pink dress on own-clothes-day.

I taught a little boy who is now is year 6 who would be the first person in the princess dress each morning but now does not show any preference for typically 'girlie' things. Again, his parents were happy to accept his needs and feelings.

I don't think that there is much awareness in Nurseries about single-sex relationships or gender issue through books etc but that is just my experience, I'm not talking for everyone.

If we just accept each little person coming into our settings as a person with their own interests and needs and allow them to explore them freely with the support of us all then surely that's the best we can do.

My sister went into a shoe shop with her son and he went straight up to the Lelly Kelly's. The shop assistant came across and said "you don't want to look at these, the boys shoes are over there", to which my sister replied "there's no such thing!" The lady then said, "I don't think you heard me, the boys shoes are over there." and my sister said: "I don't think you heard me properly, there's no such thing!"

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

What i don't like to see or hear about are children pretty much being manipulated into making a decision on their gender or even sexuality. I understand people may feel like they should have been a woman etc and feel strongly enough about it themselves, but at 4 years old this is just ridiculous to not allow them to make their own mind up.

My sister went into a shoe shop with her son and he went straight up to the Lelly Kelly's. The shop assistant came across and said "you don't want to look at these, the boys shoes are over there", to which my sister replied "there's no such thing!" The lady then said, "I don't think you heard me, the boys shoes are over there." and my sister said: "I don't think you heard me properly, there's no such thing!"

Well there are boys clothes and girls clothes in many many shops but i understand the point. Unfortunately everybody is judging everybody else all the time. If people want to be accepted into a certain "group" then they are required to conform. What we see happening now, and rightly so, are certain "groups" ie Transgender is becoming more common in the media in recent months especially, and thus making it more the "norm" and hopefully reducing some of the problems we see in the world today regarding certain "groups"

need to rush off now so might need to edit.. or add more. i hope you get the points i am trying to make and i don't mean to offend.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)