Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job observation

Hi,

I've got a 30 min observation for a job in Nursery (I am currently doing the job part time, this is to get it full time in the same school). There is an external candidate too, so it's not 'in the bag'...

My time is 10-10.30, which is right in the middle of our session (session time is 8.45 til 11.45) so we will have had an introduction to the day on the carpet, and be in freeflow/adult led mode! Would it be rude of me to write a letter to management to explain that I'm more than willing for the observation to go ahead, but we will be in the middle of a session, which will show the experiences and challenges provided for the class, plus my interaction with them?? Thanks in advance MM x

Edited by MillyMoo15

Thats a difficult one..what will they external candidate be doing? Dont put yourself at a disadvantage. What is the remit of the observation ie can you demonstrate the skills you have been asked to showcase?

The heads PA came down to class last Thursday and said "observation at 9.15, you can do anything" then the next day they changed the time to 10am...no idea what the external candidate is doing, the school calendar only has 10 until 2.30 blocked out for 'interviews for nursery job' we only have the one nursery class, so no external obs going on just mine at 10, and no external obs on calendar...my interview is 1.45...

Personally I wouldn't write. When you get the job you'll be working across the whole session, Therefore I think they might argue they should be able to observe you any point and it might sound like you're making excuses before you started. Use your knowledge of the children to your advantage. How about focusing on some joint involvement / SST with a group of children at continuous provision?

Good luck in any case whatever you decide to do!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)