Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Homework!

Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone sends little suggested activities that the parents could do with the children, linked to what they have been learning that week? (NOT REALLY HOMEWORK!)

I know that many settings have home learning bags but we are not going down that route due to lack of money and also that our parents are on the whole very supportive and are more than willing to put suggested ideas into practice when discussing next steps.

We have a text service at school, so I am consider just suggesting little ideas e.g. this week we have been talking about the size of different objects and been playing a game on xxx website if you would like to try it with your child?

What do you think?

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

I think it's a lovely idea and as a parent I know I would have really liked something like that.

However as a Manager of a setting although I admire the idea I know that with all the other stuff

I do I would end up forgetting to do it!

I do like the idea though and keep wondering if we could manage it. Do you think it could be as basic as We have been talking about being kind to each other this week or hands are not for hitting others with?? We have a lot of very 'physically hands on each other' children at the moment.

Sorry I didnt mean to highjack your post or sound facetious (sp) just thinking it through

KP's send the 2 or 3 next steps they are targeting per child over a half term out to parents via tapestry, numbering them NS1, NS2 etc...giving a few ideas to support learning at home, obs then added over the half term that relate to each next step have (NS1) etc end of title so parent can easily see that the observation has been made to support progress in which next step, we also ask parents to send back anything they do to support the NS at home :-)

Thanks for your replies.

We also give parents suggestions for things they can do to support their child's next steps.

My 'homework' idea is just something directly linked to what's been happening in the class as a whole. We do objective-led-planning so it would probably linked to one of the skills we have been developing.

lynned55 - it would be something very simple and I wouldn't been asking for any thing from the parents unless it was something like 'Can you find your favourite Autumn Leaf?'

I was thinking of using the text message service as parents don't check Tapestry on a daily basis but I'm pretty sure they look at their text messages!

Thanks,

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

we have put up short notes to parents saying what we are talking about this week including the words we will be using eg - language of size -tall, taller , tallest etc,.

not sure many parents take notice but we can only try.

Edited by blondie
  • Like 3

I put up a Tapestry Challenge from time to time which is as close to homework as we get! In the past we have had home learning bags (which often don't come back or are incomplete so a huge drain on time, money and resources) so now I add an observation to their Tapestry with a challenge for example to find everyday objects of a specific shape or something like that. I will also print the challenge on a big piece of paper and put it on the door for those that are less frequent checkers of tapestry. As with all parental involvement the participation varies from those who really engage with it to those who will do just a little and those who don't engage at all. However this is my level of comfort as far as homework for nursery age children goes!

Mel

X

We do a 'home challenge' for our pre-schoolers every week linking to their interests and parents complete them fantastically we use natural resources like going on a stick hunt, making shapes using natural environments, number hunt in the environment, taking home drumsticks to make different noises around your house, simple things like this that can involve the whole family. Parents take photos and bring back each week. It works really well if parent's don't want to we don't push it and the children love telling us.

I really like your idea of a text service as parents can respond to this technology more now. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)