Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Super Heroes

After months and months of pirate play, the boys have switched over to Super Heroes. We have lots of ideas on what we can do and I have started out with Super Hero Mission Cards, very successful especially as they got to ring a very loud bell when they managed to do what the mission was, i.e, listen to what an adult is saying! However, from a chat with the boys (yes I'm afraid the girls really are not interested at this point) it is clear that they have no idea what their heroes actually do!

They appear to think that they shoot people, or go "ahhh" with their hands up! What I want to do is some research into the different super heroes and find out how, what, why they do what they do. For instance they think the Hulk is just an angry giant - which I suppose on a simple level he is, but they don't get much past that, I can only remember the tv series - just and know what made him turn into the Hulk, but not what happens in the comics or present day cartoon series.

Anybody out there done this type of research? or shall I just google up each one and try and find some info?

Hi we are in the middle of Superhero play. Have you thought about tackling the subject from a 'real life' superheroes? e.g. firefighter, the medical profession, vets, search and rescue teams etc Their job is to save people and that is what all comic based Superheroes do; even Mums and Dads as their job is to protect, love and care for their children)? Waterstones have a new book out called 'My Dad is a Superhero.'

My sister is an A&E nurse so I got her to come in and talk about her job and since then the children have created an hospital area and proceed to give anyone within walking distance of the hospital CPR! Maybe you have parents who are in the medical profession who could come in and talk to the children about their work?

There are some great books about Superheroes too which include girls. 'Super Daisy' by Nick Sharratt and 'Superhero ABC' which, although has lots of boy heroes there are a few girls in there such as Laughing Lass, Water Woman, Goo Girl, Yellow Yeller and Fire Girl. This book is great for alliteration too.

Another activity we have done recently is to take the children's picture and print it off A4 size. Mounted onto card the children then got to 'transform' themselves into Superheroes. After reading Superhero ABC they had a better idea of superhero powers and so used this knowledge when adding collage to their image. We had some great ideas and the children (girls as well as boys) have gone onto using these in their writing and imaginative play too. They have also made shields (paper plates, painted and decorated - just like Captain America's!)

It is a great theme to explore with so many possibilities - the ABC & Super Daisy books really are a great starter, I would recommend them.

• Like 1

Thank you apple, you have some good ideas, I'm sure the girls will not want the boys to out do them and will come on board - they are still wrapped up in the dreaded Frozen, but there might be some crossover there! Will take a look at the books you have mentioned.

we love super daisy and superworm too ! also nat fantastic ...who has a secret life!

also if you have anyone handy with a sewing machine...these take about 30 minutes each!

http://hideousdreadfulstinky.com/2012/12/reversible-cape-tutorial-for-capes-for-kids.html

we did them in lots of different materials...used by the boys and girls equally ....although think I may make a couple more with some more 'royal' type materials!

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)