Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ofsted case tracking

This was a few years ago (yes, we're due again!) but the inspector asked us to choose a baby, toddler and pre-school child. She looked at their Learning Journeys, next steps and the room's planing and how it all fitted together, so how we decided on the next step from the obs, and how the next step fed into the planning. They sometimes ask you to choose a child for a particular reason, eg, a child with additional needs, or EAL or challenging behaviour.

• Like 1

We had recently been inspected and also were worried about this part of the inspection. The inspected asked for us to name our youngest child ( specifically asked if anyone was in two years old funding but we didn't have anyone), our eldest child and then asked if we had any SEN or EAL children we had no SEN so she chose a EAL we pointed out. Chose our youngest boy as wanted to take chidren of both sexes. She asked for their Learning Jorneys and registration forms and briefly spoke with the child's Keypersons . (Specifically wanted children from each Key person)'. She spent quite a lot of time with each of the children chatting to them and following them around the room. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Same as Smiles, one of our youngest, one of our oldest, we both observed them in play and then discussed them. Inspector then spoke with the keypersons, looked through their learning journals and explored our findings, assessments and next steps.

This was in September 2012.

Hope this helps.:)

We were inspected and then again a year later (unfounded parent complaint!). The first inspection, a child came in crying and needed settling. Another child followed me the whole time., and was very chatty to Ofsted inspector. Ofsted chose to track these children.

Second inspection, they chose (didn't ask who was youngest/oldest, or to identify any children at all - just observed them) but selected a child with EAL and a SEN child. Progress checked as well as what we did to support both. Very thorough and made comments as to the level and standards of observations. Slated one and that practitioner gave in her notice two weeks later. Thank you Ofsted.

Just make sure you can show progress and how you are supporting it. With children who may be delayed, make sure you can explain why they are delayed and what you are doing to support this, with parental in put of course! At the end of the day we all are doing a great job, and must not be intimidated by Ofsted. Speak up and sell yourself!

• Like 1

Ours was in October, our inspector chose 2 children who stood out for her, a one year old who was very confident and very interested in involving her in the activity they were doing :) and one of the children whose parent she had spoken to (who had raved about how we helped him with a slight physical delay when he started 4 years ago!) She looked at their gap sheets and observations (we put a lot of assessment on all observations showing why it is significant and what is next for the child) and asked me some questions about the little ones delay, I told her about the other agencies we had involved and showed her the evidence in his learning journey that he had overcome this difficulty but that even up until now, we still provide little activities to help support him.

We do have funded 2 years olds and 3 children with significant SEN, she didn't ask about them specifically BUT if I can give you one piece of advice, it would be TALK TALK TALK!!! I used her asking about the little ones previous delay to go on to our current SEN children and showed her my SEN overview file and an individual SEN folder showing evidence where I had challenged professionals who I did not feel had done enough for him and I talked about everything we do for him, 1:1 support worker, TAC meetings, Early Help Record in place ect. The lovely thing about this is that YOU get to choose what the inspector sees and you can use it to show all the great things you are doing.

Even if it has to be a tentative link such as 'as you have asked about our 2 years olds/SEN/EAL, can I also show you how we support our (whichever group you like) child/children. Our Inspector was very complimentary about our SEN provision at feedback and I'm sure this was because we TALKED TALKED and TALKED about what we do!!

Good luck!!!! xx

It's also a good leadership strategy when you monitor progress and accuracy of assessments - we encourage our EYFS leaders to observe a child, then look at the tracking of their attainment alongside their observations to ensure these are aligning and that judgements are accurate.

This type of triangulation of your self evaluation evidence is invaluable.

Cx

It's also a good leadership strategy when you monitor progress and accuracy of assessments - we encourage our EYFS leaders to observe a child, then look at the tracking of their attainment alongside their observations to ensure these are aligning and that judgements are accurate.

This type of triangulation of your self evaluation evidence is invaluable.

Cx

My head teacher is always talking about triangulation! Recently an inspector observed in my class then talked to me for ages about what we did in Early Years and commented that I had some 'challenging' children. I replied that yes, that SLT was already involved and that we were expecting to hear about an appointment with the paediatrician for one of them soon. He mentioned those children to our SENCO when he met her. Although non of my children are currently on our SEN register it was still important that the SENCO knew of their existence and some of the things that were being done to support them.