Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Charity-run pre-school closing

patientbear

Hi everyone.

I am the supervisor/manager of a charity-run pre-school that is being taken over by a private company at the start of the summer term this year. As many settings will know, it is becoming increasing difficult to find willing committee members so, when we were approached by a local company who were interested in taking us over, we agreed. They are a small company who only have 3 other pre-schools and the owner is a good friend of the previous supervisor, so we are very happy with the situation - they are also keeping on all of the current staff.

We want the new owners to have the equipment, as all of the current children will be staying, but we understand that we have to sell it? Who decides how much we have to sell if for? We also have an amount in the bank account and know that this has to be given to another charity but again, who decides who gets the money and does it have to go to another pre-school or can it be given to someone else, for example the local children's hospital?

Thank you for reading this and I look forward to reading your replies :rolleyes:

your constitution will give the information on who has to to get the money from th account and sale of the goods..

not sure who can value the goods, but most of the time being well used and second hand they have little value..

• Like 1

Hi Patientbear -

Are you a member of the Pre-school learning Alliance, if so give them a ring I'm sure they will be able to talk you through it. Even if not I would still ring them, as I am sure they would still give advice.

Good luck with it all.

• Like 1

Within the last year we have been taken over by our local school through Community Powers. The Committee, School and staff had support from someone we knew within the Local Authority to help us look at the constitution, helped us dissolve the charity and limited company. As the school was the nearest charity within the area, we were advised that we had to write to Charities Commission to ask if they agreed with the money being passed onto school, which they did.

We were also advised to seek our own legal advice before going ahead with the transfer. We were put in touch with ACAS, who gave us advice on the Human Resources side which included contracts, redundancy etc

Good luck with your take over.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)