Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition from FS to KS1: help requested

Hi there Amanda and welcome. Im sure there are lots of people with experience in this area who can help you. Can you give us an idea of what excatly you are researching. I can talk for England on this subject but dont want to bore you with the wrong information :o

Hi Amanda -

Firstly, have you read Helen's reply to your introductory post, where she recommended a good book to be starting with.

Secondly, I think you probably need to think of some initial questions or possible issues, to give the members here something to feed off! I'm sure lots of people will be happy to help you with the project but they will need to know what you need help with (I'm sure you don't just want them to do the project for you! :D )

Best wishes,

Steve.

You are right there Steve :D

Amanda, I have just read Helen's reply to your introduction and can highly recommend the book she mentioned. Our reception and year1 teachers went on the course accompanying the book, run by Ros Bayley, and came back enthusing. I have the details if you want them, or Steve, are they already on the resources page??

:oxD hi! thanks for contacting me I need to know what you think to a formal curriculum in year 1, do you think the foundation stage should be taken higher into key stage 1 to ease the transition period? still not sure how to use this site so bear with me!!

The Foundation Stage style of learning, and assessment for learning should be continued throughout KS1 and on into KS2 as far as I am concerned. I read that Wales are extending FS through KS1. They don't do KS1 SATs, and are introducing child practitioner ratios of 1 to 8.

Isn't the 'new' Primary Strategy trying to reintroduce connected learning and a more topic based approach? :D

hi jaquie, it's great to find someone on the same wave length as me, i totally agree with your views! do you know where i can look at Wales stategey? I've tried the Dfes Wales website but couldn't find anything of use, i'm not very internet friendly. :D:D

Hi Amanda -

I think you'll find we're all on your wavelength! :D Just look at the poll on the front page for opinions on play based learning...

Here's an article I found on Wales and play based learning just to keep you going.

And also have a look at this long and excellent discussion we were having some time ago.

Hopefully this will bring up specific questions and issues which you can ask for opinions on! :)

Thanks Steve, those links are great, however I seem to be struggling with counteracting my bias on this subject. I already know what the answer should be ( like your poll!!) so how can I move this research project further? Does anyone else have any ideas. Maybe I should try to look at the positives of SATS.

Also I'm having trouble recieving private messages off this website as I do not have Netscape, so I aplologise to Mundia, who has so kindly replied back to me with a book recommendation that I'm unable to access. Any correspondance will have to be on this page. SORRY!

ABOUT THAT BOOK AGAIN, CAN YOU HELP??!! :o

It seems to me that there is little argument that would stand up to say that play and active learning should not be part of KS1.

It would be worth you looking at Howard Gardner's multiple intelligence theory as part of the argument for this - that there are many aspects of intelligence, all of which need to be addressed in an effective classroom. And of course, the basic theory of VAK for learning - visual, auditory and kinesthetic experiences are all necessary for true learning to take place. How best can you provide for VAK and the multiple intelligences? Through practical learning experiences, and play!!

Maybe rather than keep trying to prove the point, part of your research could be towards KS1 teachers' attitudes towards play? Maybe conduct a survey to find out how mcuh time they give to play now, how they incorporate play into their planning, and what resources they have for play. Whether this has changed with the advent of the FS? Do they do more play now than they did prior to the FS? Or less? Or no difference? Would they do more play based and practical activities if SATS were to be abolished? This sort of research may be easier to become factual with. What are the obstacles in their way (if any) that prevent a more play based curriculum?

Hope that this is of some help.

Nicola

Sorry Amanda, just sent you the book details before reading that you cant access them. The book is called 'Smooth Transitions: building on the foundationStage' by Ros Bayley and Sally Featherstone. I dont know the ISBN but it should be available from either www.educationalpublications.com or if not via Amazon.

Hope that helps :D

Hi there,

Busy Bee here!

I too am interested in this area and am planning to make it the subject of my Dissertation ( MA Early Years).

I will aim to keep you posted of any info that may help you.

I am about to start reading 'transitions in the early years' by Hilary Fabian and Aline-Wendy Dunlop,

so have a look for it, it may help!

Hi Busy Bee -

Welcome to the site and thanks for your post here and in the introduction forum! :D

I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the Smooth Transitions book you've ordered. Also, if you enjoy the Fabian and Dunlop book let us know. We'll add it to the list of recommended reading (if you want to review and recommend it yourself, you're welcome to do so in the Books forum!).

Best of luck with the dissertation! If you would like to make it available to the members here, I'm sure you'd get a lot of interest... :)