Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Understanding of the World - Technology

green hippo

Hi,

What do you think?

We have a number of children who can complete a simple program on the 'Education City' program. We open the main program and find the EYFS section and then select English/Maths/Science from the menu for them. These children are then able to select a game by clicking on a large icon and follow the games through - all games start by pressing on the green 'START' button and then are completed by clicking on numbers/pictures etc depending on the game usually with instructions e.g. "click on the number which tells you how many ..." etc. To complete these games the children either use the mouse or the interactive whiteboard pen and only need to know to click on an icon. I think this is more 30-50 months and to be achieving with 40-60 months I think the children need to demonstrate that they know how to find the program and the games? But am I being a bit harsh and considering it in light of the knowledge of what children are actually capable these days on ICT equipment and not against the ages and stages as described?

Thanks,

Green Hippo xxx

I think the higher stage technology skills are about using the technology to support their own learning - so they apply their use of it in different contexts. This includes stuff that may link to the computer like being able to upload pictures from the tuffcam for example. And I would also agree that I would expect children to be able to navigate to a programme or tool they need independently really.

Cx

• Like 1

We also have edu. City and we have interrupted this point as the computers are turned off, a child wishes to use the computer so they turn it on and navigate independently to edu. City and play game appropriately. Hope this helps

We also have edu. City and we have interrupted this point as the computers are turned off, a child wishes to use the computer so they turn it on and navigate independently to edu. City and play game appropriately. Hope this helps

i think if this is all they need to do then all my two years olds would be on 40-60 months!

• Like 1

Hi,

What do you think?

We have a number of children who can complete a simple program on the 'Education City' program. We open the main program and find the EYFS section and then select English/Maths/Science from the menu for them. These children are then able to select a game by clicking on a large icon and follow the games through - all games start by pressing on the green 'START' button and then are completed by clicking on numbers/pictures etc depending on the game usually with instructions e.g. "click on the number which tells you how many ..." etc. To complete these games the children either use the mouse or the interactive whiteboard pen and only need to know to click on an icon. I think this is more 30-50 months and to be achieving with 40-60 months I think the children need to demonstrate that they know how to find the program and the games? But am I being a bit harsh and considering it in light of the knowledge of what children are actually capable these days on ICT equipment and not against the ages and stages as described?

Thanks,

Green Hippo xxx

I agree Green Hippo that the ICT part of the EYFS is woefully behind the times, or at the very least worded badly in what is really expected, we have some very able children as Finleysmaid has pointed out and on the surface it would be "easy" to give them 40-60 months, but they would, I believe, be unable to support their own learning in the way that Catma has suggested, and I am grateful to her for that insight, as we are totally blind as to how children in Reception are expected to be able to use ICT equipment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)