Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Registration Visit - When to Appoint a Manager

MagicStar

Hi All,

This is my first post here - seems like a great forum :-)

We are in the early stages of planning our new nursery and I am trying to get a better idea of how the Registration Visit will work in our situation.

My wife will be the Registered Person, but we will be employing a manager. Naturally, as the Registered Person, my wife will be fully vetted by O and will require a DBS. However, my question is this, at what point during the registration process will the Manager (and Practitioners) need to be in place?

With O quoting 25 weeks for registration (and possibly longer judging by some posts on here!), it could get very expensive if we are required to have the manager and staff in place a way ahead of our planned opening.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks very much!

Edited by MagicStar

Welcome magicstar. Make good use of the forum.

I am not sure about if it is necessary to have all staff & manager in place if you are not planning on being open for a while.

Ofsted may request a suitable person interview with your manager if neither your wife nor yourself hold the relevant quals and the manager is the person who is going to be responsible for the running of the setting.

I am sure someone will be along soon if I have hot it wrong.

But good luck. My hubby & self run our preschool I really enjoy having him around and he has much better business sense than me!

Hi and good luck, when we re-sited we gave them 25 wks weeks notice, panicking about what if they didn't get here in time and they wanted to visit 2 weeks after contacting....I had to contact them 3 times to say we don't even have the building yet you can't visit, was about 8 weeks in the end before ready for them and they came in the following week....you could advertise for a manager stating when you intend employment to start, then maybe employ them in time to be involved with final preparations, staff recruitment process, decide if they will be nominated person etc....could be good for working relationships :)

Welcome magicstar. Make good use of the forum.

I am not sure about if it is necessary to have all staff & manager in place if you are not planning on being open for a while.

Ofsted may request a suitable person interview with your manager if neither your wife nor yourself hold the relevant quals and the manager is the person who is going to be responsible for the running of the setting.

I am sure someone will be along soon if I have hot it wrong.

But good luck. My hubby & self run our preschool I really enjoy having him around and he has much better business sense than me!

Thank you so much for your helpful reply and the nice welcome LKeyteach!

Yes, we are very excited about the opportunity. We both have a lot of experience within the education sector, but starting our nursery is going to be both daunting and challenging (in a good way) at the same time.

Jeany, that was a very informative read - thank you!

....you could advertise for a manager stating when you intend employment to start, then maybe employ them in time to be involved with final preparations, staff recruitment process, decide if they will be nominated person etc....could be good for working relationships :)

That aligns very well with our plans. We just need to find the right person. Thank you for taking the time to reply :-)

Edited by MagicStar
  • Like 1