Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sharing learning with parents

Hi,

Currently, I do an overview of what the children will be 'covering' over the next half term but this is very general and always states that we follow the children's particular interests.

I sometimes ask for the parents' help with what we are doing in school e.g. providing a photo but don't do this on a weekly basis. Parents also have constant access the Tapestry so they are up to date with some of the things that their child has done in school.

I don't want to make loads more work for myself but was wondering if anyone else has an (easyish) way of communicating what we have been doing in school and possibly something that they could do to support this? Or do you think that comes through outlining 'next steps' for individuals on Tapestry or parent meetings?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

We use Facebook and each child is set 2 targets which are displayed on our target board, we have a simple sheet for KW to fill out -my next step is; etc etc etc then - what can I do at home to help ! The KW then writes a small piece with ideas of what they can do at home to support their child. There is a cut off slip at bottom that states they can write things down and return or add a write up/photo/video to tapestry. Simple but effective we use to have a much more detailed sheet but parents brought it back saying "what's this" that was a cue to change the format x

• Like 1

We have a whiteboard that goes in our entrance lobby with 'Things we have done today/this week.' We have just started printing photos of 'Look what we have been doing' (or words to that effect) This has gone down really well as the children and parents are talking about it on their way in and out of playgroup.

When the photos get changed, they go in our Celebration Book, an A3 scrapbook that we use as evidence for Ofsted.

I saw a lovely idea on facebook or a blog that I follow about a washing line with 'what playgroup/nursery means to our family' and parents and children peg on words or phrases - I guess you could adapt this to 'what we have done at school' and then get the parents to contribute 'what we have done at home' that relates to the topic and the next steps can come from that?

We have a notice board also giving general planning across areas for week, but have asked staff to send a message to parents via tapestry (as sending an ob) just saying 'name' next step or interest is being planned for next week, what next step is, planned activity and any support they could give at home, I then want them to edit it the following week to 'evaluate' and hopefully parents will feedback as well

Edited by Mouseketeer

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)