Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Employing unqualified staff

Running Bunny

Hi Katie

The 50% applies to the whole setting and doesn't need to apply to each room, assuming you have two rooms from your description, and that you aren't counted (ie you have 5 including yourself..if the 4 includes you, then you do need more qualified)

You on the edge if you have staff on holiday etc as you don't have much room to manoeuver. Could any of your unqualified staff train up?

50% of all other staff need to be qualified to a minimum of level 2 , at least 2 persons should hold a full first aid qualification.

The wording is ambiguous regarding 50% per session but on advice from Ofsted I was told they should be , becoming an expert as having so much hassle with this ! Working towards qualifications does not count until qualified.

50% of all other staff need to be qualified to a minimum of level 2 , at least 2 persons should hold a full first aid qualification.

The wording is ambiguous regarding 50% per session but on advice from Ofsted I was told they should be , becoming an expert as having so much hassle with this ! Working towards qualifications does not count until qualified.

Katie, are they all in the same room? If so, you have four staff, so correct ratios will be maintained, and as long as 50% of your staff are Level 3, you're fine. If they are in separate rooms, I would say you'd need 2 x L3 at least with the over 3s.

Edited to add: Sorry, just seen Mundia's reply above! I always thought it was per room rather than the whole setting, but I am wrong :)

Edited by HiAPreschool

Katie, are they all in the same room? If so, you have four staff, so correct ratios will be maintained, and as long as 50% of your staff are Level 3, you're fine. If they are in separate rooms, I would say you'd need 2 x L3 at least with the over 3s.

Edited to add: Sorry, just seen Mundia's reply above! I always thought it was per room rather than the whole setting, but I am wrong :)

I thought it was per room too from when I looked into it all using the ever helpful Ofsted phone line and our consultant. wish they would write things in a clear fashion maybe we could all know what they (Ofsted) want then.

I just think if it's not per room, then what is to stop all the unqualifieds being in one room and all the others in another? (Proper management is the obvious answer, but I bet it would happen!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)