Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'Shut up.'

'Shut up' from a 4 year old to a teacher right in front of their parent... not a good sign. It would have been better i think if mum had been more shocked, considering they have no behavior like that at home...

Some pretty challenging behavior from this little man this week and I am pretty worn down. Can't cope with any demands being placed on him and responds to praise with a screwed up angry face and a 'NO'. Some sensory issues with clothing and noise and unaware of others or appropriate responses. He got sent home from playgroup because his coat wouldn't zip up correctly and the melt down that followed was not recoverable...mum says he was fine at playgroup. he is a young one a real summer baby...think this is going to be a long haul and I am not sure I have it in me.... :(

any wise words/ motivation....and I've already tried wine (me not him!)

Do you not have a transfer document from playgroup that would have been signed by a parent. If the report confirms your observations probably a word with your SENCo?

Actually if you haven't got a report, ring the playgroup I am sure they will tell you their experiences of the child.

Edited by diesel10

As mum says he was fine at Playgroup that is where you may find some help... give them a ring and ask to speak to someone, ask for their strategies and what they did.. what worked or failed...by calling in to speak to someone you may get more information. It is easier to tell someone issues 'off the record' if they ask the right questions...

Written transfer document.. read between the lines... they are all written to the positive.. if something is missing then it is probably because they had problems in that area..

He is still young and home will have had the majority of influence... how is he at home.. how does mum cope.. or is it like many we came across, parents too scared of upsetting her child to say no or set boundaries.. or they think it is cute so have let it become a habit..

Other that that, lots of observations to back up your findings and issues.. for Senco ( or whatever is the latest title for this role!) to be involved.

• Like 2

Thank you... I should have perhaps been a bit more explicit. I am on site with playgroup so I know they had big troubles too and mum was very tricky to get on board.. she seems to have forgotten this, or does not want to remember, i am gently reminding her it was not easy for him there either. Mum has told me on more than one occasion than one occasion he isn't like this at all at home but I reminded her she drops him off and 2/5 mornings she tells me 'he is on one' and when i just bypass the 'he is not like this at home' and ask her what they do when he is having a melt down, she tells me ignoring him is best and at home they 'let him do whatever her wants.' I watched his older brother carrying his library books the other day, he told me as he passed, 'he has made me carry these.'

The bonus ball is that I am the SENCo BUT there is no way I can go down that route just yet because I think Mum and Dad think I am the problem...and it is early days... although it feels like I should be at least half the way through the year!

Whatever else, hang on to your self-belief and be secure in the knowledge that you are not the problem here - from experience I know this can be terribly difficult to do, especially in the dark days of November.

Can you ask a behaviour advisor to observe? Or a health visitor who knows the family already?

Keep positive.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)