Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Knowing letters in name

green hippo

We have a few children in our setting at the moment who can tell you the letters in their names (the sounds). Some can then go onto attempt to write some of these letters, some making marks.

My TA has put a couple of observations on and ticked 'beginning to hear initial sounds in words' but I'm not so sure this has been demonstrated with what the observations shows about the name writing. I think these children have learnt the letters in their name. What do you think this should come under? I would be more tempted to put them in 30-50 reading and writing as they have an awareness of print having a meaning and saying something consistently?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would be more tempted to put them in 30-50 reading and writing as they have an awareness of print having a meaning and saying something consistently?

definitely not beginning to hear initial sounds. have just memorised initial letter sound for their name. i would agree with you and it also shows evidence of working towards

Links sounds to letters, naming and sounding the letters of the alphabet (40-60 reading and writing)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)