Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nurseries must Teach British Values or Lose Funding

So our new Education Minister says that we must not encourage extremist views, must not teach creationism as scientific fact and must teach tolerance of other faiths, sharing and right from wrong. Oh and Ofsted will be inspecting us against these criteria.. Thoughts? xx

Here's the link:

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/nursery-world/news/1145873/nurseries-teach-children-british-values-lose-funding?utm_content=&utm_campaign=Copy%20of%2008.08.14%20NW%20Update&utm_source=Nursery%20World&utm_medium=adestra_email&utm_term=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nurseryworld.co.uk%2Fnursery-world%2Fnews%2F1145873%2Fnurseries-teach-children-british-values-lose-funding

Is it just me or does all this seem screamingly racist?

Are they really suggesting that only the British can share and be tolerant?

I'm Scottish so may not count as "British" for much longer so can I really teach anyone these values?!

And where are all these extremist early years settings? Could just be showing my ignorance but I've never heard of a single one.

• Like 1

so where does this leave church pre-schools...we are allowed church schools but not church pre-schools????

could this be the end of the nativity plays for the under 5's .....will we be forced to either talk about ALL religions or none at all????

needs a bit more thinking out i feel (as usual)

just a few statistcs..

There are about 4700 Cof E schools

2257 catholic schools

140 muslim schools

and 65 jewish schools

1in 4 primary schools are Cof E and 1 in 16 senior schools.

Both the cof e and the catholic schools teach creationism so are they suggesting that nearly 7000 schools will have their funding removed too?

• Like 1

I think we carry on doing what we've been doing. Its about sharing, taking turns, challenging extremism and stereotyping and teaching right from wrong, nothing new or different, except a education minister who has no idea what we do and feels the need to react to the goings on in a freeschool.

• Like 10

........was just about to say that Rea....I thought we taught tolerance anyway? ...another minister that hasn't got a clue as to what the the goings on are in early years/schools!

meh...yawn......moving on! :)

::1aWe (at our setting) do like to put a bit of bunting up... is this 'British' enough? :D

Seriously though, I think we just continue to do as we always have :1b :1b

.....pinch of salt and all that I recon. :rolleyes:

Edited by louby loo

I think a rash statement as made by Nicky Morgan was done to make sure nothing in EY happens as in the free schools with extremist views and ideas being taught. It gives powers to LEA to withdraw funding if such a thing happened.

I think we carry on as we are because guys we are doing a good job in providing our little ones with a rounded education in life

I totally agree Suer, we are all teaching tolerance and acceptance everyday as part of our standard inclusive practice, it seems a very odd starting point for our new Education Minister, however the debates over whether or not Ofsted are fit for purpose, whether or not the rate of early education funding is sustainable (she laughs..) or whether or not there will be enough supply to meet the demand for 260,000 free places for 2 year olds by next month are far too difficult to tackle so lets ignore those and instead tell EY settings that we must do things that we are all already doing just so that the minister can sit back and say 'yes, I told them that and they are all doing it, how good am I at my job'?? next she will tell us that we must change a nappy when it is soiled, revolutionary stuff..! or am I just jaded??!!! xx

• Like 2

Maybe that's the tactic talk about stuff we already do and take the news away from ' no where near going to meet it's own target for 2 yr olds' !!!

Edited by Suer