Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dilemma time!

Running Bunny

Help me out - I've got a dilemma on my hands!

I've been on the committee of our local playgroup for 4 years (my background is early years childcare) and I was planning on staying on after my youngest leaves to start school, as we've just had a pre-Ofsted audit by our LA that needs tons of work doing, which I really enjoy (yes, it's official - I'm nuts!)

I have been looking for work in preschools or creche work to fit around the children as there wasn't any vacancies at our playgroup. Until Wednesday. Our deputy has got a full time job at school so has handed her notice in. The manager asked the committee last night if it was ok for her to offer the hours to the newly qualified student who has been volunteering with us; not even a discussion to find out if I might be interested (and I've made no secret that I'd like to work there)

The dilemma is that a full time (school hours) job is being advertised at another playgroup 10 minutes from home. I've asked for an application form but feel like I'm betraying existing playgroup even though they've really pee'd me off. I appreciate I'm not entitled to the role at our playgroup and would have to go through formal interview process etc, but there wasn't even a 'would you be interested...?' chat.

I'm a terribly loyal person, which my husband can't get his head around, so I'm really torn. Of course, if I get another job I'd have to relinquish my role on the committee too, which (without blowing my own trumpet too much) would leave them in a bit of a tailspin I think! Equally, I don't want to mess the other playgroup around if I get to interview for that position.

Any other points of view to help would be much appreciated.

RB x

Guest tinkerbell

They do say 'a change is as good as a rest'

It is a shame that the committee haven't appreciated your hard work.If the staff are 'moving up' will there be a position available at all?

I think you should apply for the new play group.If you are unsuccessful you will still be available to work for the committee and get your teeth into the paperwork you love.

Good luck

Tinkerbell

Our current structure is the supervisor, two deputies who work every session but split the role as we couldn't split them at interview, and then one other qualified and an assistant. Plus relief staff who work when ratios require.

I don't even think that the supervisor has approached the remaining deputy to see if she wants the role full time as we might need another 'half time' deputy (which none of the other staff will want, based on previous discussions) she has just jumped straight in to ask the student without thinking of the overall staff structure. If the existing deputy doesn't want it for all sessions, we need to advertise for a new deputy. To be fair, the Chair wasn't at the meeting last night so I don't know what conversation has gone on between them today.

The student has just finished her qualification and was with us on placement from Jan-May 3 sessions a week and since her course finished she has volunteered with us. She is very good, so that's a massive plus for me, but this is just a bit close to home when I've known and worked closely with the supervisor on the SEF, quality improvement plan, policies, good practice etc for 4 years and I don't even get asked.

Perhaps she thinks I'm too much of a threat and I'd be on her case (the committee have issues with her management style in that she says she will do things and all the things the audit picked up were things we were assured were being done, but that's a whole other thread!!)

Like you said, sometimes a change does everyone good :D

Thanks for letting me rant x

my feeling is that if there is a vacancy, it should be advertised and open to all applicants, including you. It sounds to me as if you are rather being taken for granted. However, if it is a 'done deal' and the student is definately getting the job, I would suggest that you have nothing to lose by applying for the job with the other group. They might well appreciate your skill and enthusiasm and give you new challenges to get your teeth into? My old setting has, and will always have, a piece of my heart even though they treated me very badly in the end. But sometimes you simply have to move on and accept that your job is done at the current one. Good luck x

• Like 4

I certainly feel taken for granted at the moment, that's for sure! BUT I've put so much work into trying to implement good practice and now with the audit, I want to make it a really good setting as this is the part of the job I thrive on.

I think the position will be advertised, but they wanted to make sure cover was in place for September with it being the last day today (although why the supervisor didn't suggest advertising and interviewing over the summer is anyone's guess) The closing date for the other position is next Friday so they are appointing ready for a September start.

Having said that, I don't think any position has ever been advertised at our playgroup, most of our staff are parents who helped out and just morphed into relief staff then did a qualification!

The committee are the 'Employers' not the superviser, I'd be having a serious discussion about overstepping the mark, making suggestions about staffing is one thing, but to actually have told the student the job is hers is out of order, it may have been from a budget point of view that you didn't need to replace immediately with numbers on roll often lower in September , and I'd say the supervisor would be worried about you being more driven to improve than she is .....good luck

• Like 1

Guest tinkerbell

I still think you need to move on.Now your daughter is going to school your own horizons will certainly broaden with what school will present.I know I ran the play group when my youngest went and once he started school I was ready for a new challenge...ended up running the PTFA,classifying the school library (Dewey) and after a couple of years chairing the govs! I also got a full time teaching job.

keep looking forward

Have a good summer and think of your options

Tinkerbellx

My thoughts... they do not want to lose you from the role you are already doing... and it did not cross anyones mind to consider asking if anyone may be interested in the post..

I would probably tell them.. be open and let them all know that you would like to be considered for the post as well as the information that you are applying for the other job.. so would not be available to help with their further development if you moved to a new setting. And apply.. you may always wonder what if?

i too was taken fro granted in one setting.. so moved and found a much happier place to be working, no reason your skills cannot be used and appreciated elsewhere..

• Like 1

Tinkerbell, I get what you are saying with new horizons, but I have no interest in the PTA/Governor side of things, my heart is and always will be with Early Years.

I saw the supervisor this morning at a workshop and as we were leaving I asked her if I could put her name down as a reference. She then asked what I was applying for, so told her another playgroup and she looked a little surprised! She did say, "or you could apply for the job here". I just busied myself putting my little one in the car.

I think I'll email the Chair to give her the courtesy 'heads up' to tell her that I'm applying for another job, which will mean I'll have to stop being on the committee and why can't we advertise/employ someone ready to start in September rather than covering the position until they get their act together to sort out advertising it.

There are tons of issues with the supervisor but the Chair and I work well together and have big plans for implementing change; plus I know the staff, the children, the set-up.... However, a change might be good too. Lots to ponder!

Thanks for you input thought, it has helped focus my thinking x

• Like 2

Hi Running bunny, is the proposed job for a qualified member of staff. Are you trained yourself to fulfil this role.

I would certainly consider all your options including the other setting, and see what happens.

No disrespect to committee members as they are generally fantastic.( well they are at ours). I was Chair of my current setting some 23 years ago when my first child was there and i was already a trained NNEB, and have stayed ever since, but committees do come and go but Supervisors and staff are on the whole there to stay.

Giving them as much support in a very difficult role would be my advice.:)

Hi Fredbear - It is for a qualified role and I've got a Level 3 (and a degree in Education, but not Early Years) and I've worked my way up from Nursery Nurse, to Quality Assurance Co-ordinator for NDNA and finally as a Chidcare Development Officer for a LA, before I left to have children 6 years ago.

Zigzag - there's no done deal, the permanent role will be advertised, this is just to make sure cover was in place to go back in September. I'm fully aware that I might not get offered the position if they want to start afresh with a younger member of staff who they can nurture and train to fulfil a more senior role in the future.

My issue is that I've made no secret of the fact that I'd love to end up working there as it would fit with my family; I know how everything works there as I've had four years on the committee making massive changes as it was in a mess when I started and I've covered staff absences at ridiculously short notices and never got a penny for anything (fair enough, that's part of being a committee member!) It just feels like a bit of a snub that's all.

There is no general duty for an employer to advertise job vacancies. However there is a general duty for employers not to discriminate against employees or potential employees and the absence of advertising a vacancy could, in certain circumstances, constitute discrimination.

it is good practice to advertise to ensure you someone suitable for the role but there is no legal requirement to do so.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Inge. I've just actually googled it (as you do!) to see what the law states, and there is no reason why there can't be an 'internal' promotion ie. someone fits the bill so they are approached in the first instance. But, as you rightly say, there cannot be any hint of discrimination or we'll be for it!

The good practice vs. we know someone, so why bother going through the process is what the committee will have to decide!

• Like 1