Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A good tidy up!

Hi,

well me and a colleague have had a good tidy up of our outdoor area - we spent 6 hours doing it! It feels great to have it looking organised again! Having reorganised our outdoor area last year so that many resources could be left out, we have now decided to go back to tidying most things back into the shed on a daily basis! I think the children had stopped seeing what was out all the time, so this way we are going to have things on offer but with the ability to mix it up a bit more to keep interest, and develop things over time. I am also hoping that it will be easier to check if things are in the right boxes if staff are having to put boxes away (as opposed to a quick glance around the boxes which may be mixed up!!).

Not sure if we are doing right but we'll live and learn! We are continuing to develop our outdoors to reflect the 'real' use of the outdoors, making it a different space from the indoors. I think by putting our resources away, it will help us to focus more on what the children need in the space on any given day. In a way, making the space and the different environment the permanent resources and using the other resources to engage in that space in different ways to support different needs and interests. With a load of man-made resources available, some children will just go to find something and not actually react to the environment around them, apart from the increased space. Of course, we will have equipment but will be more considered with this. Sometimes it takes the day where you don't put the bikes out for a child to notice that there are plants that might need watering!

Any thoughts?

Green Hippo x

when are you coming to do mine?

Well done!! We have days when scooters or didcars are out but they don't go out all the time and it depends if the children are learning from them...if the play is really low level then i think it's important to mix it up a bit. It's always good to reflect at this time of year on what's worked well and what hasn't and realising just how much we've come on in a year as well as the children. Over the summer we clear down the whole garden (to allow the grass a rest) which means we have to then think about the cohort coming in in september(lots of small 2 year olds!!) With the group i have at the moment the equipment has become less important than the space and the afternoon group love wide games (they've always worked better as a team!)

Imo the outside should be ever changing to the needs of the children ...just like the inside and if loads of 'stuff; is around that can't happen it just gets in the way, gets broken and becomes a part of the environment...but not in a positive way!

sounds like a plan man......so i repeat,,,,,when are you coming to do mine!! xDxDxD

• Like 1

To be honest we dont really have a lot of 'stuff' outside anymore as we have tried to do away with any formal resources. When something has broken or needed replacing we just haven't. Instead we have just have mainly natural materials that are available all the time.

We also have tyres, planks,stones, crates,rope, tubing etc which get made into amazing things on a daily basis also guttering permanently attached to the fencing.

We have water trays and a huge sand pit and the children can assess their own water. We are 6 months into our mud kitchen as well which has been a great success. Again this is always available.

Obviously the children occasionally bring out the odd baby and buggy or small world item but this always gets put back at the end of the session. It really works for us not having too much clutter outside and gives the children more opportunities to be imaginative with the resources that are on offer.

It already feels betters!

Yes, we have crates, tyres, planks, digging area, planting area, outdoor blackboard and whiteboard, some hoops which will have to stay out all the time but other than that it will need us to respond to the children on a daily basis. We are even going to keep the digging equipment in the shed so that will need putting out specially.

We have also gradually reduced the formal/plastic resources and are looking to increase the natural items.

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)