Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYP/EYT

My third in charge is an EYP, she maybe more qualified than my deputy and myself but she has much less experience.

She keeps saying that she wants to put her qualification to better use. She is a key person, takes the lead in planning for letters and sounds and as i said above is third in charge. I feel that she needs to get more experience in the setting, but want to encourage her enthusiasm too. She is a little to child initiated and isn't good at setting firm boundaries.

Any suggestions?

Much of the EYPS process involves self-evaluation and making plans for improvements in the provision. Is your EYP involved in your SEF or action planning? Perhaps you could give her an area of the curriculum or the setting to concentrate on, evaluate and make suggestions for improvements in line with best EYFS practice?

• Like 1

This is what makes it difficult, we are already a very reflective setting which she knew as she came to us in the last part of her EYP because of our 'best practice' I could involve her in the SEF but it doesn't need reviewing until next year now. I think I'll give her an area to evaluate though as that sounds like an excellent idea

Does she do any peer observations? - this could then link in to supporting staff in developing either an area of their practice or an area of the environment/curriculum with the emphasis on her supporting them, not doing it for them which I think is where the leadership side is tested for some!

Trying to keep more ambitious staff fulfilling their potential is a real headache in small settings ! In september i have one of my team who will be setting up and running our new toddler group (emphasis on parent partnership and early learning), one who is doing and will start to plan for 1-1 intervention groups and another who as senco is in charge of all the new reforms and putting these in to practice......now all i need is to offload the sef and i can sit back and watch!!(i jest of course! xD )

• Like 1

what about environment plan??? it can form part of your SEF but she could evaluate the way you use your space, why things are where they are, how this facilitates learning and reflects your ethos?

or what about letting her take the lead on some parent work shops, especially this time of year could she run some phonic awareness workshops and strengthen those links with parents?

If she is very child led could she work on the child led transfer into school stuff???? or maybe get her involved in child voice in the setting???

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nimatel,

I am the EYT at my setting and my responsibilities are to:

check all of the planning, to ensure that next steps are identified and are reflected in an activity

I liaise with the practitioners in the toddler room and carry out the 2 year checks

I check all the learning journals once a month to ensure practitioners are doing them well and are adopting the same system

I upload photos to get developed for folders

*I get one day a week to do all of this*

Look up this website for ideas and ways to improve

Look at foundation years website and government websites

Print off inspection reports and read through picking out new ideas

Ensure all staff know of any changes in the EYFS

These are all of the jobs that I do. I can kind of see why your EYT would want to do more as there is a lot she can do and it takes a lot of weight of management.

Hope this helps

:D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is there an age range or project you could give her to take the lead on?

I'm the EYP in our pre school room (there's 3 of us at my setting) and I've done training on 2 year olds just recently, now with the idea that I help support practice and the environment to help support 2 year olds development.

Maybe giving her a project like that to work on?