Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Information Commissioners Office registration

Guest Nuby

Guest Nuby

Is this new bureaucracy? Or has it always been around? Must admit I have never dealt with or heard of them.......

Hi Nuby -

It's been around for quite some time. Are you asking because you've been sent a rather intimidating letter from some organisation that sounds vaguely official suggesting that you are pretty much a criminal for not doing it? In this case you can throw the letter away or send it to your local trading standards people (here's one reference to the parasites that like to phone or write this sort of thing).

Notification is quite a simple thing and only costs around £35 - the people referred to above make their money by scaring small businesses into agreeing to use their service, and then charging £100 or more, when all they are doing is filling in the form for you.

They're actually quite nice in the Information Commissioner's Office, and if you're unsure whether your records/paperwork mean you need to notify (that's the term used for registering with the ICO) you can even give them a call and ask them. If you do need to, they'll be happy to send you the form. If you have received one of those unpleasant letters you might like to mention it to them. :1b

• Like 1

Funny I just asked a couple days ago about this on a photo thread, I hadn't heard of it either and now apparently need to pay someone for something ?

There was a link to register with ico from someone on other thread, is it a yearly fee like some sort of insurance ?

Edited by Mouseketeer

It's an annual fee mouseketeer. It's not insurance, it's a legal requirement that when you keep certain kinds of personal information about people, you need to be registered. It's to do with privacy and data protection. But you should be wary of the scammers (I still think parasites is a better term) who make their living trying to bully and frighten you into paying them. If you need to notify with the ICO you should do it quite simply and cheaply (£35, no VAT) with them.