Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Regression

Sitting here writing development summaries... Two of our three year olds who are going to school in September made progress in PSED and CLD related to social skills (playing with others, taking initiative, expressing ideas, speaking up, taking turns) in the spring term that we don't see this term, possibly due to insecurities related to school. So we can't say that they can do these things. The result of our support and encouragement gone...

it's still there...it's just hiding! Don't worry these things happen...unless they have any sen needs it is incredibly unlikely that they have lost these skills...they are just not using them at the moment (have they increased elsewhere?) i have one who was writing really well last term but because her Mum has done loads of school work at home she now won't write in my setting and when she does it's rubbish...i know she can do it she just isn't showing me that at the moment. I also have found a group of children over the year who have made fantastic progress in one term and then just consolidated their skills the next which means on paper it looks like they haven't done much!

These things are sent to try us...if children were robots our jobs would be easy! (thank goodness they're not ;) )

• Like 5

I can see how other kinds of skills could remain but not be shown when feeling under pressure. But when it comes to personal and social skills, including communication, then what we see this term, isn't that how they are? If they were secure and confident to speak up, be expressive, cooperate etc, wouldn't that show, independently of an uncertain future?

IMO children have many ways of expressing their feelings...rarely do they do it eloquently.

Becoming withdrawn and uncommunicative is a natural way of expressing fear/frustration and a range of other emotions...just look at teenagers. It is not uncommon for them to be expressive at school and sullen and uncooperative at home. They can use their social skills when they need to ...it is inbuilt in to them and i would say that they have learnt it.

Do you feel that they have truly regressed ...or are they just 'acting out' because of circumstances? I have many this term who have tested my patience because they mentally have moved on to school and i am no longer important! i can almost guarantee that in the last two weeks they will become clingy and not leave my side. It appears to be the natural order of things...having done this for many years i see it again and again. I would like to change the system but unfortunately it is out of my control. I sometimes have children starting to get twitchy at Christmas when their parents fill in the application forms....they mention it to their little ones and do not understand the impact it can have. A year in the life of a 3 year old is a third of their life lived!

• Like 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)